did you save your babies cord blood?

does it cost anything? if you didnt, do you have any fears in storing cord blood?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I didn't because I wanted my son to have all his cord blood when he was born i.e. I waited until the cord stopped pulsating before cutting it off - cutting it too soon can mean that a baby loses out on a lot of blood volume and it can contribute to the issues which are normally associated with vitamin k.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I didn't bc it was so expensive. It was 1500 to collect it and like 150 to store it each mo.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:54 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I didn't due to cost, but I donated it.

Answer by missanc at 9:15 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I did not with my first two, the first because the baby was placed for adoption, the second because it was expensive. I am due again in July and will not cut the cord until the cord has stopped pulsing (for reasons the first poster stated).
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 10:00 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I really wanted to do it because there have been a lot of children/families saved because they banked their child's cord blood. I looked into it but it was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. It was like $1,500 just to transport it to the storage bank, then like $150 a month to keep it there, and if you ever had to use it, I'm pretty sure it was like another $800 to send it back or something. I just could not afford that at all. And the people at the storage place were EXTREMELY annoying. I told the guy I just couldn't afford it and he literally called me once a week after that leaving messages trying to convince me to do it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:17 AM on May. 4, 2010