breastmilk?????

I had my son on the 26th of april. Colostrum has come in, but no breastmilk. Is it unusual for it to take more than a week for my breastmilk to come in. I also have a few lumps in my left breast over the top of my areola. Im very concerned to what it might be. Please help

a.mitchell09

Asked by a.mitchell09 at 9:01 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they could be clogged milk ducts, are they painful? You should really contact a lactation consultant.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:05 AM on May. 4, 2010

• i was thinking clogged ducts as well. is your baby latching on well? i used to get clogged ducts when i used the hand pumps. i really love la leche league. you can always get in touch with someone via email or phone.
    for clogged ducts you can take a warm shower and rub the lump toward the nipple.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:10 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I think it can take two weeks for the breastmilk to come in. That's why they usually have a two week breastfeeding appointment. Mine came in a little bit at a time.. my "milk" changed colors really slowly.. and then I had two huge breasts for a few days. Make sure that the baby is latching properly.. even if you have to go to a consultant and have them take a look... any type of lump in the breast should prolly be looked at by a doctor anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 4, 2010

• It can take up to 2 weeks. Be sure you aren't supplementing and that you are nursing on both sides often.

As for the lumps, do you mean inside the breast tissue (which would be milt ducts) or do you mean the little bumps that are on your areola (which are normal and get bigger when nursing).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:39 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Milk should come in within 2-5 days. How do you know it hasn't come in? If it hasn't come in and your baby has gone 2 weeks without food, colostrum would be minimal if milk hasn't come in, your baby should be loosing weight, not having stools, and dehydrated. You need to contact a lactation consultant right away.

If you think your milk hasn't come in because you can't pump, that is not how you tell. A woman can have abundant milk for her baby and not be able to pump a drop.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:20 AM on May. 4, 2010

• You cannot always tell when your milk comes in. What makes you think it is not in? Are you supplementing with formula? If you are breastfeeding exclusively and baby is having enough wet/poopy diapers and gaining weight then you are fine!
    If you are supplementing then you need to work hard to get the baby to the breast more and may need to start some pumping.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:09 PM on May. 4, 2010

• What makes you think your milk is not in? Most moms CANNOT see any external sign...and there are many moms who can never pump a drop.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:50 PM on May. 4, 2010