Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

neighborhood kid scratched my car please help!

There is a child in my neighborhood that will come into my yard uninvited and will play on my children's toys. My son's are 2 and 4 this child is probably 7 or 8. He is not welcomed at our house. He is rough, destructice, and rude. Yesterday he came in our yard through a closed gate, did not ask if he could play, jumped in my son's power wheels car (after I had asked him to leave twice) and ran right into my husbands 2 year old exspensive sports car. It was getting dark and we couldn't see at the time that the child had scratched all the way down the back of my husbands car. Im talking a 3 foot scratch. This car is in pristine condition. Im just really not sure what I should do in this situation? This child is in school today and his parents (whom I have never met or even seen, he is allowed to rome around the neighborhood at all hours by himself) are at work. So I will not be able to speak to him or them until this afternoon


Asked by laciD at 9:04 AM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 11 (505 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (28)
  • I would suggest that you take pictures of the damage and when you contact the parents and tell them what their son did show them the pictures---although if they allow him to roam and do what he wants I don't know if they will step up an accept responsibility for him and pay for the damage he caused. I would let them know that you plan to pursue the matter- and will follow up with estimate costs and that you will be filing a police report. I would also let them know that you do not want their son on your property again or you will call the police.
    After contacting the parents, I suggest you file a police report, contact your insurance agent and then get 3 different estimates for the cost of repairs. Then contact the parents again and let them know what the estimates are. If they refuse to pay-- then take them to court. Good luck!!

    Answer by MizLee at 9:24 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • didnt they throw eggs at your car last week? I'm not sure, but i'm thinking that was you that posted that... you have some bad kids in your neighborhood.

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:07 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • no, that was not me. Most of the children in my neighborhood are wonderful. We have have several kids that play at our house on a daily basis without an issue. Its just this one child. He is a monster and obviously has very little parental supervision.

    Answer by laciD at 9:10 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • yes i think the best idea is to talk to his parents. be stern and firm and tell them they have to pay for the damages or u'll need to talk to ure lawyer for this situation. also next time the kid comes in ure property, dont let him know that u saw him.. and just call the police that u think there is a burglar in ure back/front yard. that'll probably scare him away. or buy a vicious dog (u can even borrow it from a friend) and tie it outside in ure yard. also dont leave ure kids toys lying around. obviously thats whats attracting him to ure home
    as for the scratch .. u really need to talk to his parents. the sooner u do the better. the more u delay, the kid (or even the parents) can come up with the excuses that the kid wasnt the culprit. so march up there as soon as u see them enter their home.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • yeah i'd talk to his parents and tell them waht happened and ask them to pay for repairs also tell them that the child isnot welcome on your property...parents like that irk me!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • i would just call your insurance company and act like you have no clue what happend

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:26 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • or what mizlee said..that sounds good.

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:27 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • Thank you everyone for your help.
    Shay I would do that but we would have to pay a deductible and I think that is his parents responsibility. If I were my child that damaged someone else's property I would pay for it.

    Answer by laciD at 9:29 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • I WOULD CALL THE POLICE FIRST! take pictures and call the police ASAP and do a criminal report that way the kids parent wouldnt be able to dispute it. his parents probably arent very nice seeing as how they let their kids wander into the night unwatched by ANYONE. so i would get the police to talk to them for me, i would take the police with me when i visited and i would have pictures of the scratch and tell them about the incident. if you file a police report then the insurance will cover it.

    Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:29 AM on May. 4, 2010

  • i like Mizlee's advice .. also ANON's 9:12's advice. u need to take some serious action. if that we're my DH;s sports car, he would have flipped !! i can imagine what u guys must be going through. yes u need to take pics and talk to ure lawyer about this. also call the police next time that fre**** kid steps in ure yard !!! or put heavy gushing sprinklers in ure yard and turn them on full blast when he steps in ure yard !! lol, that'll be fun :D
    make a video of that and put it up on cafemom or youtube (then paste the link here).. we would all love to see it ! :P

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on May. 4, 2010