How do I do pregnancy yoga and is it safe through the entire pregnancy?

I'm looking for books, websites, anything on yoga during my pregnancy. I'm really big on health and I want to be as healthy as possible through it all.

Cj1992

Asked by Cj1992 at 9:40 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I took a prenatal yoga class through each of my 3 pregnancies. I found the class through my hospital. It was wonderful! I continued the class to the very end of each pregnancy ... 42 weeks with my 1st! With this last pregnancy, I was in class ON my due date! I loved going to a prenatal class... it was geared toward the pregnant body, so each move had modifications to make it comfortable for each trimester. I also liked meeting and making friends with the other pregnant Mamas. I found the slow Yoga breathing to be really helpful during labor as well. I didn't find my classes to be strenous or painful at all. Lots of great stretching that helped with aches & pains... and I kept my flexability, even when I was HUGE!
    I think that going to a Prenatal Yoga class is preferable to books, DVDs, etc. because you have the instructor there to check your form and encourage you to do the moves correctly. good luck! Namaste!
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 2:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I did youtube videos of prenatal yoga and they give ways of making it easier for more advanced pregnancies. I would also suggest making sure to walk a lot... cuz the yoga helped.. but I wish I woulda walked more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 4, 2010

• yoga is very strenous and painful until you're used to it. it's not advised to start any activity during pregnancy that you weren't doing before you got pregnant.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:58 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Are you currently healthy?
    I started (prenatal) yoga w/ my 2nd pregnancy~ loved it!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:49 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I bought Yoga Momma off of Amazon for 6 bucks I think. They have a mom for every stage of a pregnancy so you can see how she is doing the moves. Its a little tough at first but you get use to it. It also helps your back..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Thank you all. I do walk tons. I always have. I walk 7 miles to school every morning and back home most afternoons. And I do regular yoga, but I stoped when I found out I was pregnant because I didn't know if it would be dangerous for the child. And to MarigoldsMama: I must agree. Classes are preferable, but I don't have the money.
    Cj1992

Answer by Cj1992 at 3:27 PM on May. 4, 2010