Period question ....i am a mom of a tween girl

My 10 year old started her period last month, it was only spotting, but this month it came down pretty heavy. I want to ask the moms that have been through this about pads. Do i buy her the same pads i use? or, do they have smaller size pads for girls/ tweens?

I would imagine my pads would be big on her.

Please help!!!!!!

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 10:07 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she's got a heavy flow, she's going to need what any woman with heavy flow uses. Unfortunately, just because the body is smaller, the period can be the same as a woman in her 40s. My daughter is 15 and started when she was 11. She has extremely heavy flow like I do and for pads we both use the Always Infinity pads. They are more expensive but are made from a very thin material and extremely absorbent. She also now uses tampons (introduced her to those after a full year of regular cycles) and she uses the SUPER ones because of her heavy flow.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:23 PM on May. 4, 2010

• They do make ones for tweens. i would look into them but for the record, I used my moms at that age.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:08 AM on May. 4, 2010

• they make smaller sized ones. just go and look.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:09 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I had to buy smaller ones for my daughter because she is really tiny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on May. 4, 2010

• If it's as heavy a flow as it sounds I would have her use yours
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 10:18 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I would let her use yours on the days she is heavy,, she will be mortified if she has an accident,, on lighter days they make smaller ones. gosh 10 years old,, alot to deal with,, I was 15! welcome to teenagers momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:26 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Actually Always makes a pad that is narrow in the middle but just as thick and absorbent. They are in a green outer package, but the indivual wrappers are pink. Called Always Ultra thin slender petit with wings. I use them and I'm a short chuncky thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Thank you anonymous #2, gonna try them!!
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 12:52 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't have daughters. But when I started at the age of 12 I wore my mom's pads. They were/are the kotex ultra thin maxi's. I start out with a heavy flow and these work for me. For the rare occasions that I would be out somewhere on my heavy days (school, work, etc.) I would carry/use a thcker pad. But I NEVER had any issues with the ultra thins leaking.

I was also wanting ot mention that accidents happen. Does she carry a purse? If so, make sure it's big enough to carry extra pads, a pair of panties, and maybe even a thin pair of pants. This way if she does have a "leak" she can change and not have to call you to the school to help her out.
    Anonymous

• I would like to add, that Always make me break out something fierce! I am allergic to one of the ingredients (and have heard the same from several other women). I generally use tampons, and have since I was 11 (I was on swim teams, and HAD to be able to compete, so I learned to use them responsibly- so, from personal experience, she's not too young). I have always had an insanely heavy flow too... If I have to use a pad, I use Kotex, which I have never had a sensitivity to.

Oh, and BTW, I used my mums when I first started @ 10... Oh, and I'll add for the record, that I also began shaving my nether regions at that age too, because it was easier to stay clean, and I was prone to yeast infections- removing hair prevents them. So.... should she begin doing so, don't freak out, it's much more hygienic. Once you are comfortable doing so, it is the same as shaving your legs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:41 PM on May. 4, 2010