i have a question about homemade laundry detergent...

i'm getting no answers, so hopefully someone can asnswer here! I made my own liquid laundry soap. My friend told me I have to pre-wash all of my clothes with just washing soda before I start using my homemade detergent. The reason is because the washing soda will wash out the chemicals from previous detergents and if I dont do this first all of my clothes will get dingy. Anyone here of this? I cant find any such tip anywhere.... I cant just start using my own detergent next time I need to do a load of laundry?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:23 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I make my own detergent and never heard of that prewashing thing.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I never prewashed my clothes. Isn't there washing soda in your laundry detergent already? It's redundant to prewash them.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:26 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I saw an article on making your own washing soap and it didn't say anything at all about pre-washing your clothes before using the new laundry soap. In fact the whole article was about how in reality you need little to no soap at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 4, 2010

• There should already be washing soda in your homemade. With group of guys I have here. I have loads that I do have to add extra soda and borax try that.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:51 AM on May. 4, 2010

• thanks ladies! i just wanted some second opinions. I don't think it makes sense to pre-wash w/ washing soda since it's in the recipe already!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:32 PM on May. 4, 2010