We cant get PA!? :/

So I found a little job part time at Starbucks.My hubby is Military and I needed something that i didn't mind giving up at anytime.Well since we have a car that is FULLY paid for and has been since the day we got it(2007) We cant get Food stamps because of our car.We are paying 900 for daycare a month.We are living off of 300 after bills.how weird that our car stops us from getting food for our children.its only going to be temp also.hubby will deploy soon.My thought is:Should I just become a SAHM? That 900 is more then half of his money and all my earnings.I like working but being broke because I work seems selfish :(.I dont know what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Look at your finances, if it is far cheaper for you to live off just your husband's military salary than off of his salary, your wages, minus the daycare.....then it only makes sense for you to quit working at your working is costing you more than your not working would. You can go back to work AFTER you children are all in school and you can work while they are in school there by saving the daycare costs.

Good luck with your decision. It is one that only you can truly make.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:13 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Stay home. It's literally costing you to work and pay daycare, if I'm understanding this right, and I just don't understand why you'd continue to do that.
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 11:08 AM on May. 4, 2010

• That is the bitter irony of life. I cant work full time as I would have to pay child care an average of $10/hour whereas I can only expect to make $8/hour. So really it makes sense for me to just stay at home . Yet I do not like being at home full time!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 11:09 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Part time at starbucks probably doesn justify that daycare bill. Do you make more than $900/month at that job? I would stay home if I were you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Yeah stay home it's cheaper
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:10 AM on May. 4, 2010

• yes stay at home!!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 11:13 AM on May. 4, 2010

• My DH's old 401k from a previous job, that he rolled over into an IRA, is what keeps us from getting $120 in foodstamps per month - that pathetically little for 6 of us, even though we are soooo far under the limit, and even though our IRA has almost bottomed out because of the economy. Anyway, I'm a SAHM even though I'd rather work, because we'd be paying $7/hour for daycare (multiple kids plus before/after school care) and I'd be lucky to make $9/hour before taxes, not to mention the gas to get to the job, etc. Not worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 4, 2010

• If you wanted to be a SAHM you would have already been doing it. Pay less for child care. Sell the car and buy a cheap car. It still gets you where you want to go. I am 54 and have always paid cash for cars. Your goal in life shouldn't be how to get on PA.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Really, I would ABSOLUTELY stay home. You can find little things to do at home that will bring in some extra money (help watch others' children, do online surveys, make hairbows, tutus, etc).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 4, 2010

• The daycare cost is exactly why I stay home. We would be paying at least that much. I'm taking classes that will allow me to work from home when I'm done.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:25 AM on May. 4, 2010