I need insight on scalding my breastmilk!

Ok, I have excess lipase in my breastmilk. I have followed everything to a "T" from KellyMom and I have not been successful at getting rid of the soapy taste. Has anyone else had this problem?

kcmarino07

Asked by kcmarino07 at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Never heard of that. Have to talked wtih a doctor about it?? Or a lactation specialist?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:20 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Soapy taste?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Your milk is perfect for your baby when you breastfeed. This is a storage issue. Your baby should take milk that has been recently pumped. This is a rare problem and usually only with frozen milk.

Some babies reject bottles of breastmilk because they won't drink from a bottle. It has nothing to do with the taste of the milk. Will your baby take bottles of your milk right after you pump?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 AM on May. 4, 2010

• Gailll, this is an excess of lipase problem, not a storage problem. I have the same issue. My baby won't take it even if I just pumped.

OP, scald for just a few seconds, cool quickly, then put in a storage bag & freeze it.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:56 AM on May. 4, 2010

• I always thought that the lipase problem only occured when you freeze the milk. I guess I'm wrong, if the PP's child refuses even freshly pumped milk. OP, I suggest posting this in the Breastfeeding Moms group for more advice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:09 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I have exces lipase. My DS will only take milk from me, not pumped. By the time this happened, he was old enough that I put the pumped milk into his rice cereal and I had to supplement with formula (only at daycare). At home he would just breastfeed and I didn't have to do formula. Another friend of mine, her DS won't take a bottle, so he is reverse cycling (eating at night). Your baby will find a way to get the milk he needs, it's up to you how you handle it.
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 12:15 PM on May. 4, 2010

• When people have the problem with "soapy milk" it is a storage problem. I was asking OP to see if it was a bottle issue.

Wheeping have you had your milk tested? Have you had any genetic testing done to see what kind of genetic abnormalities you have?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'm not sure why this means I have a genetic abnormality, but thanks Gailll. Kellymom: Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 781), the speculation is that these mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed...
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:36 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My son will take it from me and will also take a bottle from me. But if I put it in the fridge over night or I freeze and thaw it, it gets a soapy taste (the excess lipase issue). They say scald your milk so I was just curious how the other moms were scalding it. Do you put it in something such as a bottle then put that in a pot of water... or do you put the milk directly into a pan and scald it that way then store? How do you do it wheeping?
    kcmarino07

Answer by kcmarino07 at 2:12 PM on May. 4, 2010

• When I tried scalding my milk, I was told to put it in a pan, wait til it starts to bubble around the edges, then remove from heat, let it cool slightly, then refrigerate. If need be, you can move it from the fridge to the freezer. Even after doing this, my DS would not take it, hence, putting it in his rice cereal, I made the cereal very soupy.
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 2:22 PM on May. 4, 2010