She fell tiwce! :(

Nothing makes you feel like a bad mother like looking over just in time to see your baby falling! She's never fallen off of anything before. Then the other day dh had her on the couch and before he even realized it she was on the floor. She was ok, just scared her. Within 5 min she was smiling. Then this mroning I was changing her diaper and got poop on my hands. I went to wash them and she just flipped right off of the ottoman! Again she was ok ,just fussed a little bit then started playing. I just feel so bad!! I know she's going to fall, that's just part of it. But I'm so paranoid now, I feel like I can't turn around for 5 seconds or she's going to be on the floor. When did your baby fall for the first time??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• slapDO NOT LEAVE YOUR BABY UNATTENDED ON SOMETHING THEY CAN FALL OFF OF

Anonymous

• They become mobile quickly and it takes you by surprise. Now you know she is, so don't leave her so that it can happen again. Change her on the floor if you have to. Don't leave her on the couch anymore.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:03 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'm not sure how old my lo one was the first time he fell, but don't worry accidents happen and i'm sure there's gonna be more times where she fells when there so mobile like that it's bound to happen as long as they get up and keep going there fine
    shanda0914

Answer by shanda0914 at 12:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• if youre changing her poopy diaper, you obviously had to have some wipes or a washcloth with you, why didnt you just use one of those to wipe your finger off??!! and then AFTER go and wash your hands. and whyy would you leave a baby on an ottoman UNATTENDED??!!! thats just carelessness. as for you feeling paranoid, well, maybe thats a good thing for you, it will teach you a lesson not to leave your baby on something she can roll off of!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:07 PM on May. 4, 2010

• That happened to me yesturday with a 12 month old that I was babysitting. I was changing his diaper on the couch..as usual..I turned slightly to the left to grab a wipe out of the box and he rolled off the couch so quick! And I was sitting right there! Thank goodness he didnt get hurt, it just scared him..and me! It happened literally within 2 seconds, and I was right there. I will make sure to keep one hand on him at all times now..I even might just start changing him on the floor,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:09 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Come on Ladies... and I use that term loosely... She is already feeling bad about her kid falling, so she hardly need you all to beat her up about it as she is probably already doing a pretty good job of it herself.

Anyway, Kids fall. Take this as a lesson and know she is getting to be more mobile and keep a hand on her while changing her. My kid was a few months old the first time he fell off of the couch.
    My husband's cousin rolled from the middle of a king size bed at 3 days old and broke his coller bone. Who would think a three day old baby could roll like that? But he did. SO it happens, now you know better you will do better. :D Don't worry about these ninnies I am sure their kids have had their own share of mishaps, that of course they would never share to ease a worried mother's mind, because it would break the illusion that they are perfect.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I heard about that happening a lot from our friends so I guess I was "extra' careful and the fact he had colic so bad he never stopped crying I never left him knowing the crying would have bounced him off anything.. but if she's ok, I figure use every chance as an extreme learning lesson -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2010