HELP my dog won't eat.

He's dropped weight so much that you can see his ribs. We have taken him to the vet and they did a bunch of blood work and everything came back negative. The vet suggested changing his food to see if that worked and it didn't. I've mixed wet food into his dry food and he'll eat a little that way but it's not enough. I adopted him 4 years ago from the pound and they said he was 2 years old but my vet is guessing he's older than that. He has arthritus in his shoulders and hips and is having a lot of trouble getting around now.

If anybody has any suggestions on what to do I would really appreciate it.

Juggalette0327

Asked by Juggalette0327 at 11:59 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Pets

• The glucosamine is good, warm food is good ~ even if you just use warm water sometimes. Have his teeth been checked? Even wet/canned food will cause pain if he has loose teeth or an infection. You would most likely smell an infection, but loose teeth/lost teeth are common as dogs get older. Keep trying to figure out what the problem is, and consider a different vet (get your test results and xrays that have been done already!).

In the meantime, ask for some Nutrical and start giving it to your dog. Even if he won't eat, you just have to smear it on his gums and it will be absorbed. It's mostly corn syrup for calories and a lot of vitamins ~ and it's made for animals when they can't/won't eat. The other thing you can try is stage 1 baby meats. That and the Nutrical should at least keep him from losing any more weight until you and a vet can figure things out. GL!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:35 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Old age...or maybe he has some stupid parasite inside him that is causing him not to eat try taking him to another vet. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:03 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My little chihuhua was eating well and I got some Nutro Holistic pouch food and all the animals went crazy. The stuff smelled like people food and my little dog ate a lot. The other dogs and even the cat had to have a taste. Here is a link.

http://www.ultraholistic.com/adult-holistic-dog-food-pouches.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:09 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I meant to say my little chi dog wasn't eating well.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We had a 13 year old Collie that started doing this. My dad was getting worried because she was dropping weight as well, so he tried heating up the wet dog food and she ate it warm. She REALLY like those Beneful meals. Our vet told us that you can brown some hambuger meat and cook some rice and mix it together just to get SOMETHING in their bellys. Our dog really liked that as well. Its unusal for a young dog to just not want to eat...but from what you are saying, I highly doubt she's only 2. I would get a 2nd opinion.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:14 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Did your vet check a fecal sample or do x-rays? I would do x-rays to rule out tumors or something he might have eaten that he shouldn't have. But have them check a fecal first to rule out worms.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:15 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Sorry I didn't mention that he has been tested for worms (that was the first test that was done) and it came back negative and we also did an x-ray and that was clear. I know he's not a young dog. He's at least 6 yrs old (he was at least 2 yrs old when we got him and we've had him 4 yrs) but our vet is thinking more around 9 years old. I'll try warming up the wet dog food and see if that does anything and I'll also try the nutro dog food.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:29 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I second the rice and hamburger. That is what my parent's vet recomended.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:45 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Has the vet put him on anything for the Arthritis? Sometimes, dogs won't eat if they are in pain. Before he started losing weight was he a good eater or kind of on the picky side? I have 2 that are more like vacuums and one that is is very picky. She is 7 years old but when she was younger she would actually starve herself. I tried picking the food up after 10 minutes like I have done with all my dogs and she would skip several meals. I tried wet food you name it . I'd find something she's eat but then she'd turn up her nose the next meal. I finally have her eating just dry food. How many treats do you give your do during the day? I found with Reagan she ate her meals better if she got no treats during the day. It wasn't that she was getting a ton of them either.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:33 PM on May. 4, 2010

• He was not a picky eater. He used to eat just about anything you put down. We don't give a lot of treats during the day. In fact the last time I tried to give him a treat he didn't eat it. We give him glucosamine for the arthritus. He has good days and bad days and it just seems like today is a REALLY bad day.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 1:45 PM on May. 4, 2010