Minced Garlic vs. Fresh

Is minced garlic in the jar the same as using fresh cloves of garlic?

I want to make a pasta dish with olive oil and garlic cloves. Wondering if it would be better if I used fresh cloves instead of the jar stuff?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:59 AM on May. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you don't mind the rancid flavor that the calcium bicarbonate added to preserve it adds, then go ahead and use it. It does NOT taste the same, and i refuse to allow it in the house. But to each her own. I know a few people who prefer it because it's convenient. I would rather use the real thing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:02 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I like the fresh better. The minced has a weird smell that I can not stand. I use to keep it and use it, but I found it isn't much harder to use fresh if you have a galic press.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:02 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Thank you..I dont like the texture of the jar stuff and i love a fresh clove..wondered if it was just me or if if fresh really was better!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:04 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I like fresh - most often I'll buy the big bag and process it all myself then freeze.

but the freeze dried stuff is fun too.
    Anonymous

• I like fresh better as well............ but when there's a significant sale, I buy a ton and roast it (pealed, of course) and it stays for a long time w/o all the additives and just Olive oil as the preservative.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 4:00 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The jarred stuff has a funky flavor. I always use fresh

Answer by rkoloms at 9:40 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Jar garlic doesn't taste nearly as fresh.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:01 PM on May. 6, 2010