Head banging and hitting... how to stop it?

My almost 11 month old son likes to go over to the walls and bang his head, how do I get him to stop that! Also his new thing is hitting people and myself in the face with his hands and his toys. How do I stop that!! He almost split my nose open with a train today.

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 12:00 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well the headbutting my son did a little when he was that age, he did it when he was mad. I just ignored it, he eventually stoped. Sometimes little ones do that with ear infections, so maybe gt it checked. As far as the hitting, I would grasp their wrists firmly and say a loud "NO HIT" then I would put my kids down and take the toy away that they hit with. Again that never lasted long either
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:09 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Redirection. Don't acknowledge the bad behavior and redirect him to something else.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:50 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Sounds like he may be bored & frustrated over something. Is he getting enough attention and enough activity. You can buy a protective helmet . Google "Thudguard® - Infant Safety Hat" it's really cute. My Son is over the daily head hitting on everything (by accident) stage but I would buy this if I had another child.
    Anonymous