Motherhood and Depression

I have 2 little boys ages 2 and 3. I'm a stay at home mom but I also run my own Business...so it makes for a pretty busy day. The boys are at a difficult stage...they want to get into everything, be defiant etc. and I feel more like a Drill Instructor than a Mother. I feel like I never get to play with them and have fun because I'm always correcting them, disciplining, etc. It's really starting to make me feel depressed. I spend most of my day frustrated or just plain hurt that I feel like I never get to laugh & play with the boys. Does anyone else ever feel this way? I try to plan activities or do fun things with them...but it never fails that 1 of them is either uninterested and makes it difficult for the other child to play, or 1 of them starts misbehaving and we have to stop what we're doing so I can put him in time out or correct him. Please, does anyone have any advice, tips, ...anything??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to take the time to play with them. Early in the morning after breakfast... play with them for an hour or so... and by then.. i'm sure they'll play on their own and let you get work done. You have to work around their schedules or you'll always feel that way. The same thing was happening with me and my DD, but it all worked out when I started setting time aside for just her. What at home business do you run?
    Anonymous

• Why don't you take each child on a special day? Let each boy pick what they want to do, or if they can't decide, pick something you think they will like based on each one of their interests. Have a babysitter or family member watch the other one and just have a special day with 1 child at a time. Maybe they won't be so wild when they are seperated and you can have equal quality time with both.
    Anonymous

• Well first off.... Big Hugs, I am right there with you some days. :D

My boys are 10, 3, and 2. We always find that a trip to the park works wonders. My boys can play and be more independent of each other at the park and that builds self esteem. When we do activities at home I find the more complicated the activity is the harder it is for them to sit still and be interested. Playdoh is their favorite thing to do, it is easy and fun. We also found some make your own hand puppets at walmart in the craft section. They are felt hand puppets with felt cutouts for eyes, mouths, hair and such. They are so fun and even the youngest one LOVES them. I would say choose easier activities and if one gets bored, let them leave the table and play alone for a while.

Good luck, pm me if you would like to chat more :D

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:15 PM on May. 4, 2010