Question about my clingy son, hehe

My 1 year old is going through an extremely clingy phase where he wants to be held CONSTANTLY. My daughter never really did this, she always preferred to be off walking around and playing. I know they say you cannot spoil a baby by holding him, but at this point he isn't really a baby anymore, he's becoming a toddler and I don't know if I should keep feeding into this and holding him, or just leave him be to become more independent. Lately it has been impossible for me to clean or cook or get anything done at all during the day, not to mention he's now 30lbs and I simply cannot hold him all day long lol . Any suggestions? No bashing please I just would like to know what any of you did in this situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is like that. I truly believe the girl takes offense to me cleaning because anytime I start to clean, she starts to cling,LOL.
    I've been diverting her attention when she starts doing that with different stuff. Yesturday and today while I was trying to wash the dishes, she attatched her little self to my leg and screamed..no tears mind you, just screamed. The second I picked her up, the screaming stopped.Anyway, what I did was I filled up a giant bowl with soapy water,threw in a measuring cup,a huge spoon and a couple small bath tub toys, and had her "wash dishes" with me...right there on the floor next to me. Worked like a charm. Got my dishes done! lol. Vacuming, I've been letting her hold the handle with me.Washing floors,I give her a soapy rag and let her wipe the floors next to me. I make sure to take at least 5 minutes of one on one time in between chores to play with her with her toys too.So far, so good!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:35 PM on May. 4, 2010

• my son was the same way, now he's 2-1/2 and wants to be held all the time again, he went through a stint where he only wanted to push his stroller or walk all by himself but it felt short.. however, I work outside the home and he's my only child so its less "work" for me, if that makes sense. but that isn't to say I haven't been trying to break it !! its either whining at my legs or calm in my arms.. sadly, I choose the easy way out too many times.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:21 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I agree with Kimberly. Why not let him "help" you with the household chores? That way he still gets to be by you, and you can get your stuff done.
    Anonymous

• Great advice! I also have one mom who's dd is my dd's best friend. We swap going over to each other's houses. When she's here she watches both kids and I clean, then swap! Its been great for us to get things done, we can talk to another adult while we clean and our kids get to play w/ someone else (they are both onlies so far).
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 1:28 PM on May. 4, 2010