Daycare

I need some help- I might be getting a job soon and I need to know how to go about choosing a daycare. Are there any good sites I can look at? How do I know if they have a good reputation- is the BBB a good indicator? Is a in-home daycare better than regular daycare.? TY in advance, I just feel overwhelmed trying to find something!!

kh717

Asked by kh717 at 1:04 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone is going to have an opinion on this one,, I would suggest a referral,, look on cafe Mom for women in your town,, and go from there,, IN my OP at home 1 on 1 is best until they are pretty mobile,, then a combo of preschool and or daycare situation is best, where they can interact with little ones their own age,, if you live in Kansas City I have some names, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:07 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I prefer In-home and I looked at both.

My baby receives LOTS of love and attention, when she started she was only 7 weeks old so that was a concern. She loves the other kids and she loves her provider.

Check with your state, most have a website of licensed in home providers. A state license was important to me! It will be ok Momma, just go with your gut and interview, interview interview until you find the one that is right for you and your pumpkin!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:08 PM on May. 4, 2010

• first... breathe :P

I work for a child care resource and referral agency. I would start with your local CCR&R, find them at www.childcareaware.org, they will be able to answer any questions you may have about licensed/regulated care in your area.

If you have any questions, please feel free to pm me

peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:09 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the info ladies! My son is 9 months old and i am a stay at home mom right now. Never had to think about this till today!!! I'll have to check the website out. :-)
    kh717

Answer by kh717 at 1:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• A lot of in-home daycares are better than a lot of regular daycares, but the reverse can also be said. I won't get into details but the in-home daycare (run by a family friend) that my DD went to was extremely neglectful and we switched her to a regular daycare. She loves it there, we love the girls who work there and the owner and it's great.
    I highly suggest getting suggestions from people you know. If you don't know anyone who has a kid in daycare, go to a few daycares you are considering and ask to speak to some of the moms for their opinions (If any daycare refuses I would not consider them). Come armed with questions and lots of them. (Parents.com and WhatToExpect.com have great lists of questions to ask potential daycare providers). Hope this helps.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 1:29 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Which is better, it is what you feel best and most comfortable with.
    One thing to consider is what happens if a provider is out? From my experience, regular daycares have extra staff and can pull and rearrange staff to keep the ratio even but some in home daycares are closed down while the provider is sick. Also when you visit the sites, talk to the people who will be watching your child not just the office staff. It is one thing to feel good about the people in the office, it is another thing altogether when it is the people who will be interacting with your child. If the office staff outright forbids it, then tell them good-bye. Also drop by during childcare hours to see how/what children there are doing, if you can.
    I would suggest that you do this as early as you can. Many of the plases I checked into did not have any openings until 3-6 months after I needed them.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 2:31 PM on May. 4, 2010