Kids sharing carseat...

OK, if my kids are sharing a carseat at grandma's house (because she only has one at a time) would it be ok to leave the 5 point harness straps in position for my youngest and still use the regular seat belt as a booster for my oldest? Or would the harness straps have to come out every time???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm not trying to be rude AT ALL, but if I were in your shoes, I would tell the grandparents that if they didn't follow YOUR rules for YOUR children, they would not be able to take YOUR children in their car.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:56 PM on May. 4, 2010

• the harness would have to come out, it would interfere with sitting in the seat correctly
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I think if he were just sitting on top of the harness straps, it wouldn't hurt anything. As long as they don't poke your son in the back or something like that, I can't see a problem with it.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If you're just sitting ontop of the harness straps it wouldn't make any difference. Because they lay flat when the child sits ontop of them. They are too thin to create any type of interference with the child sitting properly in the seat. It would be just fine to leave them in there while the older child was sitting in there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:20 PM on May. 4, 2010

• they would be leaning up against the chest clip too

If I recall from your other question, you have a 3 year old, correct? In most states 4 is the legal minimum to be in a booster
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:23 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Yes, my oldest is 3. Apparently though, I am fighting a losing battle with all of her grandparents. They think i'm being stupid for not wanting her in a booster seat. All of us NEED our own carseats. If everybody just used mine, we'd being taking it in and out like 5 or 6 times a day. They will not pay big bucks for a carseat to harness over 40 lbs. I bought one. A graco nautilus. I can't buy everybody one. The actually went out and bought backless boosters for her and I said no. Another lady at my work was insulted today because I said my daughter was too small for a booster seat. She's had her 3 year old in one for a year and she still only weighs about 28 pounds. Obviously, where I live, not following carseat rules is the norm. And why in the holy hell are these seats that harness over 40 pounds soooo expensive???
    Anonymous

• did you see my suggestion of the maestro, it is about $85
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'm not trying to be difficult at all ... I really appreciate your help. I'm trying to have peace of mind and also make it easy for my family as well. I'm going to have to buy two seats. The one for my grandparents, I want both of my kids to share. BUT I really don't think they will adjust the straps to suit each kid every time the other one comes over, kwim?

And also, one more question for you. What's worse in your opinion, my 3 year old being in a 5 pt harness up to 40 lbs (when she's 42 lbs) or putting her in a booster seat?
    Anonymous

• And yes, I saw the maestro! and that's more like my price range. Thank you.
    Anonymous

• honestly... both

if she is over the weight limit of the car seat she is in then it could fail in an accident, but 3 years olds are not mature enough to sit correctly in a booster which is just as dangerous
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:16 PM on May. 4, 2010