18 month old

How did u get your toddler of the bottle?? My dd is 18 months old and she loves to have her bottle...during the day and at night. She has been rocked to sleep with the bottle since birth...its her security and everytime I try to take it she screams bloody murder...she loves it

TiffanieAnn

Asked by TiffanieAnn at 1:30 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Easy.. you listen to her scream. It's the only way if you want it gone. Or you could wait for her to grow out of it.
    Anonymous

• You have to have her scream.....
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 1:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• One thing is let her keep the bottle whlie you introduce a soft top sippy cup. This helps because it feels more like a bottle. Let her pick out the cups... take her to the store, and let her pick out a cup that she likes. It'll feel like her own. : ) Let her pick out a juice to put in it for the first time. : ) Including her in the change, rather than pushing it on her. : ) 

I think it's safe to keep the bottle until 2 years old. My son never cared for his bottle and let go right at a year. My 5 month old... we'll see how she does later on. : ) 

GOOD Luck! : ) 

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:35 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Throw it away and let her have her temper tantrum.

No offense but as my Dad always used to say to me.... your letting the tail wag the dog
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:35 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I couldn't handle the screaming. My kids were 3 when they gave up the bottle. But they did it on their own. My son told me one day "Bottles are for babies". and he never had another one. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:41 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Listen to screaming or wait for her to stop. It's easy. I have yet to see a kid graduate with a bottle, so, if you don't care about her having it, just let her. My son didn't notice the bottle going, but, he did care about his pacifier. I still feel bad about takiing it away and him screaming. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't, he would keep it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:06 PM on May. 4, 2010

• try putting less liquid in it. Everytime she wants a bottle (at nap and bed) tell her okay, but put 1/2 ounce less liquid then before. Remember her that she can not have anymore unless she wants it out of a cup/sippy. Soon the bottle will be empty and hopefully she won't want it anymore. Warning: the first few days of this could be hard and result in some screaming for more, but be strong and don't give in!!
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 2:50 PM on May. 4, 2010