she's still not sleeping through the night....

my dd has not slept through the night since last august when she caught a virus...she'll go down ok, but she won't sleep through the night, and the past few days it's been that she wants in bed with us...i've tried to get her to sleep in her own bed at night to start out, and she'll sleep for an hour or two, and be up..if she wakes up in the middle of the night, it'll take an hour for her to go back to sleep..i don't know what to do..she has no problem going down for a nap in her bed, and will go to sleep fairly quickly..we have a nightly routine..she has a night light in her room, but she's gotten to where she wants her lamp on at night...suggestions?

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 1:36 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say let her have the light if she wants it.. or get a light plug... No harm there if it comforts her.

It seems it may be a phase, maybe she's having nightmares.

Instead of taking her out of her room when she wakes at night. Go in her room with her. comfort her for a few, maybe a story... then leave her to fall asleep again.

Does she take naps in the afternoon? If so the length and time may affect the night time sleeping pattern. : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:40 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Could try shortening her naps, maybe she's getting too much sleep during the day. Another thing you could do is lock her door :P J/k.
    Anonymous

• we do let her have the lamp on...i've tried to comfort her in her room, and she'll fall asleep and 15-30 minutes later she's up crying again...yes, she takes naps..sometimes in the afternoon, and every once in a while in the morning...she only naps for an hour and that's it..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:42 PM on May. 4, 2010

• you know, I am not sure if you've posted before but I am having the same problem for the past 6 months and it was after a virus and now he's also in a big bed after climbing out of his crib.. it started when he was 2 and is now 2-1/2 and still waking - some nights i end in HIS bed which was the case for 2 months and its less often now but I feel I've tried it all too and the baby gate or cry it out isn't an option.. he freaks out even more.. I just ordered this calm forte' from the highlands brand - the same company who makes the homeopathic teething tablets.. I know ( well I think I guess ) my son suffers from growing pains and even on nights I end up sleeping with him, he is very restless.. tossing and turning and sometimes night mares/bad dreams.. I figure at this point it is worth a shot because it affects his mood too ...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:51 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If all she is getting is an hour nap,, the culprit may be that she is overtired,, this can cause night terrors, bad dreams etc,, I would go back to twice a day naps,,,DS did until he was 3 now at 5 is down to 1 nap,,I know it sounds crazy,, but I bet it will work, when he missed a nap, always woke in the night,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:58 PM on May. 4, 2010

• maxsmom, let me know how that goes....i'm willing to try anything at this point...i too have ended up in her bed numerous time before..and before she had the virus, she was sleeping through the night with no problem..even sleeping in..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:01 PM on May. 4, 2010

• well, a few months back, she was getting 2 naps a day...one in the afternoon for an hour, and then she'd fall asleep from 7-8, and be back asleep by 10..and she was still waking up..i honestly don't know what to do..i really don't want to let her cio because she always falls asleep in front of her door, and i can't get in to check on her..but we've tried everything i know to do.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:11 PM on May. 4, 2010