Pro-Life & Anti-Sex Ed??

Although I don't agree, I can understand how people can be pro-life. However, it seems to me that I run in to more and more pro-lifers who also appose sex ed. To me this is counter productive. The best way to prevent unwanted pregnancy is through education... SO how can someone really truly be both?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:42 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We are Pro-Choice, Pro-Sex Ed in my house. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:43 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I dont know. I have not come across that yet.
    Im pro life but I strongly agree with educating on sex.
    kittenkat10

Answer by kittenkat10 at 1:44 PM on May. 4, 2010

• No idea...I think they have their heads buried in the sand on the anti-sex ed stance. I am not saying all kids are goign to have sex, but a lot will and if they don't know about the ramifications of sex then they don't know how to protect themselves.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:44 PM on May. 4, 2010

• iagree...i am pro life but like you said how can they prevent the unwanted pregnancies if they are not educated
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:49 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Pre Cana Classes then followed by natural methods of birth control is what we believe in--- I think I would not object to how human life is created being taught in PS with the inclusion of intercourse-- but NOT on topic like birth control/condoms things like that-- I"d prefer my children to take self responsibility including IMPULSE CONTROL in their reproductive lives

MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 1:49 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I am very pro-choice, but like I said, I can if nothing else sympathize with those who are pro-life. I understand the beliefs behind it. And I can partly understand people wanting to control what your kids learn about sex. But what I don't understand is how anyone could deny their kids a proper education with all the facts... Parents wanting to shield their kids is understandable, but I think there needs to be a limit. Not only that, but they need to understand that even if your kid is perfectly educated at home, not everyone else is. And those others are the ones your kids will be dating, interacting with and sleeping with.

And since a woman educated on her body, sex and both pre-and post pregnancy options is less likely to abort, it seems to me the two go hand in hand...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:50 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I will be teaching my kids about sex. However, I believe it's perfectly natural and healthy for people to have sex, and won't teach them not to do so. I also support public sex ed. I want to know that even if my kids do things as safely as possible, those who they are with are just as educated - because shit happens...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:53 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I am pro-life and I think that parents should be the ones giving their kids sex ed. My parents did and I was a virgin when I married, Hubby's parents were and he also was a virgin when we married. Neither of us had to worry about STDs or anything like that.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:53 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I have a coworker who believes in not teaching young teens in sex ed because dating in her culture is looked down upon but I want my son and younger siblings being educated because of what can happen. I want them to know the pros and cons and such.
    kittenkat10

Answer by kittenkat10 at 1:55 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It's usually the super, fundamentalist christians who believe this. The reason is because sex is "sacred" (which seems to be synonymous with forbidden in that religion as far as I'm concerned lol) and learning about it dirties it up. If you know about sex you're going to think about sex, and even thinking about sex in some christian sects is equal to having it. And if you have sex outside marriage then you have committed a sin that is second only to murder. Therefore it is best not to know anything about sex until you are married. So they keep their children in the dark and expect them to subjugate their natural urges and blunder through their wedding night.

This is my opinion based on my experiences within the Mormon church, and my talks with other hard-line Christian sects on the subject.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:58 PM on May. 4, 2010