If you let your kids use a swimming pool in the summer...

How old are they and what kind do you get?
I would like to get a blow up one this year that is rectangular and about 2 feet deep.

But thinking maybe I should get a small plastic one for the younger ones.
Can't wait for the sumertime water play to begin!!! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I bought the blow up one last year,, and it ripped in 2 weeks,, I just got about an 18 inch tall plastic pool at walmart, that at least we can dump easily to water the flowers. I saw the kind of metal one with its own filter about 2 1/2 feet tall,, was wondering about that, but seems like it would kill the grass for sure!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:04 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My DD is 12 months and I got her a paddling pool that blows up, and has a shade over it. It's pretty cute!
    Anonymous

• My son is 3 and we bought a rectangular 3 ring pool last year. I can sit in it and be covered up to my chest. He loves it, but of course we are always out the with him and he can walk without being under water.

He also had a small two ring pool that had a giraffes head and inflatable slide that he played with until it got punctured by the dog and we couldn't get a patch to hold. That one was pretty shallow but enough to splash when he went down the slide.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We choose to get a family pass to the town pool ($75, we definitely get our money's worth with 6 of us!). The times we've tried to have a little one in our yard it hasn't been worth it. The city pool has a nice baby pool too.
    Anonymous

• We have a permanent steel wall pool, 21 feet across and 52" high. I work for a contractor who installs pools, so they are a part of my every day. My kids learn very early how to swim. I think it is important that they can swim and are not afraid of the water. We really enjoy our pool...it is our oasis! At night we have a light that changes colors, it is fantastic. A few years back we had the 18' blow up pool, really got our money's worth, but they are a pain in the patooty to keep clean. And you ground must be very level to avoid it emptying on its own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:52 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We have a community pool with an in ground baby pool in our neighborhood, but I also get a small inflatable or plastic pool to have in the backyard when I only have a few minutes for him to play. I've used both - the inflatable I bought last year, deflated after the summer was over and was able to save it over the winter so it's ready to use again rather than just throwing away the hard plastic ones.

Answer by missanc at 3:02 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Oh - my son is 17 months old now. I also have 8, 10, and 12 year olds but they bike down to the "big pool" I like being able to take my 17 month old to the big pool so he can get used to "swimming" but it's also nice to keep him in a baby pool now so I don't have to keep my hands on him (although I never leave him in it alone anyway, but it at least frees up my hands)

Answer by missanc at 3:04 PM on May. 4, 2010