i give in and take away nap time and have quite time instead and he STILL throws a fit!

I have been having alot of trouble getting my 3yo to take a nap. And because I have a 2yo that still needs a nap I decided to just have him do quiet time in his room. I told him that he didnt have to take a nap but he needed to be quiet. He could read or play with his toys, except the loud ones. He was like "ok mommy" i leave the room and he throws a fit because he doesnt want to be in his room. Says hes scared, which is BS he always does that when he doesnt want to do something. I tell him that he needs to stop crying and play quietly in his room, I didnt think that would make other kids cry i thought it would make them happy that they get to play instead of taking a nap. but no not my kid he has to make a hissy about it. what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I understand what it is you are trying to do, but if you let him be in charge you will have problems down the road. I think you (trust me I know its hard) have to be the "Bad" guy in this one. You are the mom and as moms we want the best for our kids and sometimes those things come at a cost we don't always want to pay. You want to be a good mom we all do and being a good mom means making the choices that sometimes hurt. But I will say this you will have a better relationship setting the example then if you let him win. I hope for the best for you and remember monkey see monkey do if you have another child they will walk in older siblings footsteps. : )
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 10:48 AM on May. 5, 2010

• because he is tired, In my OP he still needs a nap!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Maybe make him feel special and make that be time that just the 2 of you get to do something nice like bake brownies or go on the computer or draw a picture or just watch TV together. Why does he have to be banned to his room?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:12 PM on May. 4, 2010

• this is a power struggle that you dont really have a choice about - you have to win it... so if he has a fit. that is not BIG boy behavior. that shows he is cranky and needs a nap. make him nap when he has a fit about quiet time so he knows you have the power to take back quiet time and go back to naps whenever you need to. he just needs to know that your in control because he has gotten an inch and he trying to get a mile.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:29 PM on May. 4, 2010

• ::OP:: i have struggled with him taking naps.. i was having to go into his room a bunch of times and it usually took him 1 1.2 hours for him to fall asleep if he did at all. And everyone was telling me on here that he was ready to give up nap times and to do quiet time instead. I did tell him that if he didnt be quiet then he would have to take a nap. IDK what to do here.
    Anonymous

• it is so hard,, my boy is home sick today,, and refused to take a nap,,, kept putting him down,, and finally he is asleep,,, you have to keep making him,,like I said in my OP 3 is too young to give up naps,, their little brains develop better with plenty of rest,, google ideas on how to get them to do it,, the only thing that works for me is to keep leading him back and laying him down,, I usually tell one story and then no more conversation,, just okay mister back for nap,,also if you want to ride bike etc,,, you must take nap,, I know frustrating!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:36 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My 3 year old is phasing out naps. She never really went for the quiet time thing either, so when I need to get some stuff done and I can see she's getting a little worn out, I let her watch a movie. Sometime she falls asleep, sometimes she'll just watch some of it then go play by herself for awhile. I think since it is not called anything like "nap" or "quiet" time she doesn't protest it.   Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 5:53 PM on May. 4, 2010

• This is just my motherly opinion but I think at 3 a child still needs naps and my son is 3 1/2 and still takes them. Things have been a little challenging lately because we have a newborn baby but I just have my son lay in bed with me while Im holding our newborn and after my son watches a cartoon I turn the tv off and he goes to bed. Its not always that simply I know that but once they get bored enough laying there they will eventually take a nap. As far as him not wanting to play in his room thats probably because he wants your attention and wants to be with his momma. I would try the nap thing again and maybe put a cartoon on for him to mellow him out and then go from there. If I can do it with a newborn you can definatly get both of them to sleep. GL :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:23 AM on May. 5, 2010

• Oh and fyi we have to be parents first and friends second so dont feel bad making him take naps again instead of playing because children need to be told what to do and actually prefer a schedual then not to have one, it makes them feel more secure. Plus a childs sleep is very important.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:27 AM on May. 5, 2010