what is a good allowance for a 16 year old girl?

mominneed88

Asked by mominneed88 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• it all depends on how responsible your sixteen year old is.....when I was 16 I babysat my bro, cleaned up when asked and worked a lot and did sports too so mom gave me 50 a week but if your daughter is a partier I would say 25
    natlb202

Answer by natlb202 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2008

• ALLOWANCE,,,she's old enough to get a JOB ...That should be her $$$$$

Answer by louise2 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2008

• Wow I would have loved $50 a week. When I was 16 (about 13 years ago), we didn't get an allowance really. I think the most we may have gotten was 15 bucks for the week. We got paid when our report cards came out- we would get $10 per A and $5 per B. I played three sports, was an A student, and got a part- time job for extra money. We also weren't allowed to take any money out of our savings unless pre-approved (like buying my first car) with my parents. I think this is a great things especially with the economy now days.

It all depends on your financial situation but I think that if kids really, really need money each week, they should get a job to support their habits. I mean, what does a 16 year old REALLY NEED that money for. If they want it, they should earn it.
    gigs5liz

Answer by gigs5liz at 9:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2008

• she should get a job, and then you guys give her 25% of what she gets every week.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2008

• A part-time job if her grades can handle it.
    Pamaleener

Answer by Pamaleener at 10:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2008

• I just read an article on allowances. It said that it should be a two part allowance. A set amount weekly with a second amount added for chores done. The older the child is the more they need to learn to manage money. If she buys clothes for herself, movies, getting nails done..stuff like that then give her an amount for her to work with and save to do these things. It will really be up to her on the amount of allowance she wants weekly. Just seeing a movie with a coke and popcorn run about 15 dollars now. Maybe start her out on a $20.00 set amount with maybe an additional $10 to $20 for jobs that are done.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 10:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2008

• NOTHING.....................

Chores aren't done consistently and it didn't work as an incentive for allowance.. I keep a hold of the purse strings, so she comes to me. She presents her need or want, and I say yeah or nay.

Internal control! I always know how much she has, and she has to show me receipts and money, whenever I ask.

Works for us.
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 10:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2008

• SImilar to the other posts, it varies and depends on how responsible your sixteen-year-old really is. My advice would be either giving her the amount of money based on her performance at school or have a part-time job. She can that way learn the importance of being independent and responsible for her actions. In the meantime, I also suggest visiting this incredible website called Nogginpower2. WHat I learned from visiting Nogginpower2 is that they provide an excellent amount of information on Discipline, getting Great Grades, Better Social Skills, Making New Friends and Getting a Good Night Sleep. By reading the manuals on Discipline and Getting Great Grades, it can aid you in teaching your sixteen-year-old the benefits of putting her money to good use as well as learning how to earn it through hard work. I hope this helps. Thank you and best of luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2008

• We did not give our children an allowance. They were expected to contribute to the running of the household as needed, help with the yard and gardens, etc. In turn, when they needed money for school or band, we took care of those needs. We bought their clothes, but we went shopping together to select what they would get. When they were old enough, they got part-time jobs, and that was their money to manage. It worked very well for us and for them. They are all extremely good at handling money and make very wise decisions now that they have families of their own.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2008

• I agree - absolutely nothing. When I was 16 I had two part-time jobs - not because I HAD to work, but because I enjoyed the responsibility of earning my own money. I bought my own car, my own clothes, paid car insurance on my own . . . Neither I nor my siblings would have ever thought to ask for money when we were fully capable of earning it ourselves (and all three of us have grown into responsible, money-wise adults - with no help from our parents.)
    Warper

Answer by Warper at 2:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2008