Tattoos... are they bad?

I have recently been considering getting a tattoo of a butterfly with my son's name on it. Is this against the christian religion? I think they look really good and i don't believe i would have any regrets from having my son's name on me, but I wouldn't want God upset with me! Help Please!

lamom2aj

Asked by lamom2aj at 2:03 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love my tattoo's. I have absolutely no regrets when it comes to any of them, I also made it a point to have all of them in spots that I can cover with a normal shirt. All of mine are on my back, sides, or stomach.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• is that really how you want to live your life? doing everything afraid that "god", some thing you dont even know if its real or not, is going to be upset with you?
    im sure jesus will love you & your tattoos.
    if not, why would you even want to be a part of someone or something that is so judgemental?
    i have 6 tattoos. i love them all.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It depends on your denom. In general though, there is really nothing about getting a tat that's going against the Bible. Some paths reject them because they are a form of "vanity" others have issues because you are altering the body you were given. But the majority leave it up to you as a person.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:08 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Depends on your beliefs. I know most Christians dont think they are good. My guess(and what I was taught growing up)was it defiled your temple(body)therefore it wasnt liked by God.

Personally, I think they are nice and a great way to extend a part of yourself so all can see it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:11 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I think it is up to you,, my religion says it is a no no, but I change my mind too often to decide on what to get,, religion says alot of things are wrong,, but god forgives
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Jesus and God love me and my tattoos so I think you will be ok! My priest even said he liked my tattoo of my wedding rings and I think he would have said something if it was a no-no.

There is something in the old testament about not altering your body by piercing or tattoos, but many of the old laws in the Old Testament are viewed as or were social norms of the time period rather than God's word.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• You're fine getting tattoos. The Bible refers to marking or cutting your body in ritualistic way honoring or idolizing the dead. If you're getting tattoos to reflect your own personal style or whatever, no problem. God knows your motivations... He's more concerned with the condition of your heart, not so much whether you have a tattoo. I say go for it!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:37 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I agree with BlessedMommy..... just as long as the tattoo honors God I find it just fine .. the only thing is.. once you start for some it becomes addicting and that I believe is wrong.

Id love to get a tattoo but I have a low tolerance for pain which is why I dont haha seriously I throw up when I get monthly cramps.. no tolerance for pain for sure!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:44 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Leviticus 19:28

28'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

It's up to you, but this is what the bible says about it.
    Anonymous

• you dont want god upset with you? god wont care....it's the hypocritical followers of the faith who will make it seem that way if they see something wrong with them....and when they tell you their opinions..screw 'em. dont let anyone tell you you are a sinner or going to hell for getting a tattoo. perhaps they are just jealous about your open mindedness to body art
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:50 PM on May. 4, 2010