how do I gently tell my husband that I really do not want another potted plant

for mother's day gift? I'd rather have cash or jewelry..or just a dinner out...the potted plants that he gives me just die.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 2:08 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• lol just tell him, if you have an open relationship just say "instead of a plant could we just go out and have some "us" time"
    Anonymous

• Joke around about you not having a "green thumb" ,lol
    Maybe he'll get the hint.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:11 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Just suggest lets go out for mother's day this year,, might as well put the money to good use,, you know I will end up killing the plant, LOL! Probably this is what his dad did for his mother,,i wouldn't suggest actual other gifts though, no matter if you don't like it, he still took the time to pick it out and such,,if you say cash, IDK just isn't the same, Happy mother's Day!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:14 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Just tell him! Can't you tell him everything? Just say "Honey, no plants this year please. They just die!"
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:15 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Why can't you just say, "Honey I don't like potted plants because they just die. Buy me jewelry instead." Seriously if you can't talk about not wanting a plant then I wonder what else your not discussing.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'd say that I appreciated the plants in the past, but this year how about we just go out. If you want jewelry, then you should suggest that you go shopping together for it. The plant is an easy thing for him, to have to pick out jewelry is harder, so if you offer to help, then that would take that task off of his shoulders.

Answer by Bmat at 2:19 PM on May. 4, 2010

• if he asks what you want tell him anything but a potted plant or you could get the message to him through the kids.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:20 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Say this, "Honey. I really don't want another dead plant for Mother's Day. I know you don't give them to me dead, but they all end up that way. How about some jewelry instead?"
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:28 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Just say, " I really want this for my birthday." You have to be specific with men, they can't figure this stuff out themselves!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Just tell him. Don't be mean about it by saying something like, "potted plants are a sucky gift get me something better." lol but rather say, "I love that you get me things for Mother's Day, but I always feel so bad when the plants die...Can we do something different this year?"
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:38 PM on May. 4, 2010