How can I wean my almost 14mo?

She is so attached to nursing and I am so ready to be done with it... well its not even that she's attached... its more like i dont know how else to put her down for a nap or bedtime without nursing... and I'm fond of the morning nursing because I get to cuddle with her in bed. But, I feel like she is getting too big for this (and my husband feels the same way).... thing is she won't drink cow's milk at all, so how do I supplement? and how will I get her to sleep?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 2:12 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you want her to have breast milk, pump it or you could mix it 1/2 and 1/2 until she gets used to the taste and coldness...give her a cup and see what she does since you say it's you not her ..put her to bed with a cup
    Anonymous

• Start pumping and warming the cows milk. Then start mixing like 75% breastmilk to 25% cow's milk and work your way up until it's 100% warm cow's milk. Then start letting her have it cooler through a period of time. BTW there is nothing wrong with warming milk up before drinking it, I know a lot of older people that do it in order to go to sleep. lol
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:33 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I have my 12mo on rice milk b/c I think it tastes more like BM. Does your DD drink from a sippy or bottle at all? if so, you can pump and mix rice milk and MB til there is only rice milk, although I would continue to warm it for a few weeks, then slowly bring the temp down until it's cold from the fridge. If DD does not take any sippy or bottle, then first start to get her to take those (preferbly a sippy) and once she will take those, replace only one nurse session per week from breast to sippy, start with regular nurse times, then nap time, then morning time, then bed time.
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 2:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• i don't want to pump... i just want to stop producing milk altogether... and stop nursing too... i just don't know how that will work
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 2:48 PM on May. 4, 2010

• kfroz... i tried the whole mixing bm with cow's milk thing.... she knows its not all bm and doesn't want it at all
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 2:49 PM on May. 4, 2010

• vins mom.... where can i find this rice milk?
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 2:50 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The rice milk should be sold at any major grocery store in the same isle as the soy milk, not refrigerated (but once you open it you must refrigerate it). I buy rice dream (its a blue box) it must be the one that is enriched with calcium and vitiams.

If you want to stop nursing altogether you can try nursing less time at first, so only 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes for the first 3 days, then cut out nursing sessions one at a time every two days. If you just stop completely you can get engorged and get clogged ducts. It should only take about 2 weeks to get her fully weaned. Hope this answered your question better.
    Vins_mom09

Answer by Vins_mom09 at 11:44 AM on May. 5, 2010