Do poorer people have more children?

First off, I have nothing against people on aid or anything like that. I actually would like it if more of my taxes went toward helping women and children. But, in my family, the relatives with the fewest $$/resources have the most kids! And it's not like it's the kids who made them broke, they never had the $ to begin with. Both my cousin and my sister have 3 kids. Both are on aid and get free daycare, etc.

Meanwhile, DH and I make a very good combined income and we pay $900/mos for daycare! I don't mind the cost, it's a great place, but I just find it interesting that we are the ones concerned with how 'expensive' kids are and only want 1 due to the cost, whereas my sister and cousin could care less! Do you think poorer people have more kids b/c they don't have to pay for things like daycare and formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i'm not poor but we live from pay chek to pay check, i stay home with my kids and get wic....i only have 2 kids
    Anonymous

• that might be part of the reason. another reason might be they can't afford birth control
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 2:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• i am sure that if you dont have to pay for their food and daycare, etc... that you are more likely to have more... we have moms at our school that we are about certain that they continue to spit out children that they neglect just to get a bigger check at the end of the month... very sad -- yes that exists... but most people arent that way.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't know about other people, I only know about myself.
    I would say that we are on the "poor" end of the spectrum. We have 3 children.
    None of them were planned.
    I guess we just rely on our faith that God wouldn't give us anything we couldn't handle in the long run. And everything works itself out one way or another.
    Anonymous

• Yes. People with lower incomes tend to have more children.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:23 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Airforcewife, if you qualify for medicaid, foodstamps, etc., you also qualify for free family planning. That's not an excuse.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:25 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I am not sure they have more children on purpose to get more aid, but are generally more careless about birth control and such. Maybe they are more careless because they know someone is there to foot the bill for them. I have no issues with people on aid that are trying to make it work on their own. I have major issues with my taxes going to pay for kids and such when the mother isn't even trying to find a job or anything.
    Anonymous

• We aren't rich, but we definitely aren't suffering either and I am pregnant for the 4th time. (we only have 1 living child) I know that this will be it, I would love another child, but emotionally I am at the end of my rope because of the two m/c prior to this pregnancy and I find myself not enjoying the experience like I did with our son because I am spending too much time worried.

My two brothers that are well off don't seem to have plans to have children ever, but I really don't think it has to do with money as much as it does liking kids but liking to give them back to the parents. lol.

In some cases I think it is because they cannot afford birth control and other times I think it's completely unrelated, and has to do with religion or personal preference rather than the amount in their bank account.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:27 PM on May. 4, 2010

• People with money tend to go to college and stay in longer, delaying starting families. The longer you wait, the less time there is for making kids. They may have better access to and better knowledge of birth control. They may not wish to have a large family because of their careers and the amount of time and money it takes.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:35 PM on May. 4, 2010

• seems to be that way. A lot of people living off of pa have tins of children. Just look at illegals that have 6 kids and no one works
    Anonymous