Do you gel and/or hairspray in yur baby girls hair?

My poor girl was born bald bald bald...like a ping pong ball bald,lol.
Now that she is 14 months, its beginning to come in and thicken up and even get a little curly, so cute.
But its still to short and thin to hold a clip or rubberband (yes, even the velcro ones,lol) unless I dap a little gel in it and then top it off with a squirt of hairspray.
I do this because I want her to be used to having hair accessories in her hair.
At the same time, I do't want to possibly ruin her hair with that stuff! Do you think it will be okay? I mean, I'd never blow dry it or put hair dye or anything like that in it. But I feel like I'm sneaking to put the gel and hairspray in,lol. Like its a secret I dont want anyone to know about,lol. And I put very little in. The gel amount is less than the size of a pea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 3yr son has had a full thick head of hair since birth, but dh has put gel in it for ages in order to spike it. lol It's not going to damage their hair and as long as you are not spraying the hairspray in her face it's not hurting her either. I have actually flat ironed my 5 yr old nephews hair into a mohawk more than once cause it was the only way to get it to stay up like he wanted. Just be sure to not get the water in her face while washing her hair because the gel and spray are not going to become tear free and it will burn.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:30 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:19 PM on May. 4, 2010

• no, but i don't put it in my hair either....my dd was born with a head full of hair so i never had problems with hairbows. now she's almost 4 and her hair is down to her butt, almost black, and full of curls. the only stuff i put in there is de-frizz serum
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:19 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't, but that is just me. As long as you are okay with it, then go to town. When my dd's hair was super thin and short I used little snap clips. You can find pretty, ribbon covered ones on Ebay and they will stay on even one strand of hair.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:21 PM on May. 4, 2010

• No way. My oldest is over 8 and has had that crap in her hair 5 times - 3 for weddings, and 2 because we had outdoor photos scheduled and the day turned out to be windy and we couldn't reschedule. Yes, it can do damage, especially since this is early hair for her. There's no need to get a child ready to wear hair accessories, leave her be and quit using that crap on her.
    Anonymous

• well i dont have a lil girl yet...but i use gel, hair wax and hair glue on my son.
    seth4me

Answer by seth4me at 2:27 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I spiked the bangs portion of my son's hair with gel when he was 2 and 3. And all sort of stuff, bleached tips in second grade. He still has a freakin' thick head of nice hair.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:44 PM on May. 4, 2010

• we use an aloe based hair spray that I found at sunflower,I also saw kid's hairspray/gel there it doesn't have as many nasty chemical in it, so you could try your local healthfood store if you feel uncomfortable putting it in her hair
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 3:02 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Been doing it for 3 years lol.My children look so OLD because they have so much hair.My 1 yearold looks 2 my 3 yearold looks 5.I just pigtailed them today and use hair spray.I dont do it all the time but I cant stand MESSY hair...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 3:39 PM on May. 4, 2010

• try those headbands with bows on them. wahm's make really cute ones!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:02 PM on May. 4, 2010