Do you ever feel like your life would be easier without extended family? lol

I live about 5 hours away from my parents and my family and I have a 4 mo old dd. Every single time we have gone to visit them (which isn't very often because dh and I never get the same days off) my mom plans this HUGE family dinner and it's complet chaos all weekend. We get in late sat night after Dh gets off of work, go to church Sun, then have come home and start dinner and have like 40 people over at the house. By the time everything is done and they leave the baby is VERY fussy and I have to deal with her. Then we all go to bed. And we have to leave Mon. Morning. My parents don't get to see the baby, we are all exhausted and it's jus ta big pain. So This last weekend i asked my mom please please please nooo big dinners. Just a quite relaxing weekend with the family, and she agreed. Well I guess now my family is mad at me because I don't want any of them to see my baby, and I said no visitors (no i didn't!!) I give up!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I wish they would take an active interest in us. :(
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:24 PM on May. 4, 2010

• As someone who has pretty much no extended family I think you are taking them for granted and its sad. God forbid you have people that love you and your child enough to want to spend time with you. Sounds just horrible.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:36 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I know what you are talking about. It's not that you don't want to see them ever; it's just that you want a little alone time with just your parents. When you are only able to visit for very short spells the crowd and chaos can be out of control, and you leave feeling like you didn't even get to see your parents. I would think your parents wiould want a little quiet alone time with your baby too.
    Anonymous

• I understand how you feel. You just want to stay away because of all the chaos and throwing the baby off her schedule. Can your parents come visit you? Do you always have to go there? It would be easier on you and the baby, she would have the things she is familiar with. Maybe when you visit some people can come sunday afternoon and some on sunday evening?
    Anonymous

• No. I live within 10 miles of both mine and my husband's parents and in the same city as all 3 of my brothers and my sister with their families. I love it because there is always someone around to babysit and my kids LOVE their cousins. I also think them having a close relationship with extended family is very important.
    How often do you go see your parents? Would it be often enough that you could do a "big" dinner every other time you come to town, or could they drive to come see you?

Answer by missanc at 3:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• your baby needs to know it's family. But i do understand to a degree. I only have my sister and she is 4 hours away and when we visit she wants it to be all about her and us hanging out at her house. We live in a rural area and she lives in a metro area. Me and the kids want to go out and do things. My sister doesn't want to leave the house she thinks we should hang out at her house and get fed. If we leave she wants to know what she should make for dinner and when we will be back.
    Instead of catering to what she wants I tell her to make whatever she wants for dinner and we will reheat the food when we get back. She gets mad that we don't hang out with her, but that is her choice...she can always come with us.

my point here is if you don't like something put your foot down and feel free to stand up for yourself and what is best for you and yours.
    Anonymous

• We moved 1800 miles away from my in-laws. It's peaceful. :)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:42 PM on May. 4, 2010

• wish i lived at least 5 hours away from my family...i live 75 feet away from husband's family.

if this was me...i wouldnt want your life every weekend, its nice to visit family once in a while but i need some weekends to myself!

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:03 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Three words........... Ohhhhhhhh Hell yes!
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:57 PM on May. 4, 2010