Can you get SSI for an autistic child?

My child is in the process of being diagnosed on the autism spectrum. I have heard that children with autism may qualify for Social Security benefits. Anyone have experience with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• potentially, but it isn't easy
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:30 PM on May. 4, 2010

• that is a great question but i have no idea --- sorry. i know cognitive disabilities (idk if autism is under that umbrella of diagnosis or what it is classified as) can get you SSI. we did a re-eval for a kid who was dianosed CD (cognitive diability) and found that he no longer showed enough signs of it or delays that he could overcome the label and just have a SLD (specific learning disability - meaning he was only behind in one subject now) he mom flipped out at the IEP meeting because it meant that she would lose her SSI for his disability... we coudlnt really help her the psych had already finished the eval. she could pay for an independent one.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Getting social security is never easy. But you should file and don't give up.Once your finally approved, even if its 3 years later, they will pay you from the very first time you filed.
    Yes, Autistic children are usually qualified for social security benefits, depending on the severity and social functioning.
    Anonymous

• If your child is being treated for the diagnosis and your insurance doesn't cover for it they will tell you to apply for medicaid.
    If you have expenses target to therapy for your child and you are paying out of your pocket and your income is limited you could apply. But you must get a lawyer, advocate, social worker to help you with this.

DON"T DO IT ALONE. For the interview you must have a "professional" with you. I did apply. But I was rejected due to excess of income.

There are other programs such as Family Reimbursement. But you must have a Service Coordinator. Service Coordinator takes the role of helping you and your family to understand better the services and programs that your child is entitled to.

In the case of our family we have the Medicaid Waiver which helps since our Insurance Co. only pays 50% so the rest Medicaid Waiver pays. The rest for me is waist of resources. continue...
    Anonymous

• continue...
    I don't believe on any of the organizations that said to "help" autistic children it is just a facade that this business do to collect money from the govt.
    Anonymous

• AmaliaD, that is horrible. You would think that she'd be overjoyed that her child was improving. I feel horrible for even thinking of applying (hence why this is anonymous), but if his therapies are going to cut into my work time the extra income would help comensate that, kwim?
    Anonymous

• Yes, children with Autism Spectrum Disorders can qualify for SSI based on disability if their ASD seriously effects their quality of life and/or ability to learn/function. However, in order for a child to receive SSI benefits, the child must meet BOTH disability AND income guidelines, so if your child qualifies for SSI based on disability, he/she may still not qualify for SSI benefits b/c the family income and/or resources is too high. Sometimes you have to really fight to prove disability, but it all depends on your SSI caseworker at the time.

In all 50 states, if your child qualifies for SSI based on income/disability, then the child will also receive Medicaid benefits. In some states, for those children who do not qualify for SSI only b/c of income/resources, then you can apply for a Medicaid waiver to help offset the cost of medical care & therapies. Depending on the state, obtaining a waiver can be difficult.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:19 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Yes - if your family falls within the income/asset limits then you can qualify for SSI. We received it for a time for my son. We didn't have a caseworker - we just filled out the paperwork, turned it in and were accepted. The income limit isn't hard to meet, but we don't qualify anymore due to our assets (the limits for assets are EXTREMELY low!!). My son received Medicaid too while we were on SSI - he now still receives Medicaid, but it comes from a state program based on disability, not income related.

Answer by missanc at 8:41 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I want to add that it will depend also on how severe his autism is. My daughter has cerebral palsy but it is mild. She also has ADD, a blood disorder and an eye disorder. However, since none of these are considered severe and she isn't below the IQ for her age, she does not qualify for SSI. We have applied 3 times now and been turned down each time. I have thought harder on the subject since then and decided it is better this way because she is not "labeled" as disabled.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 2:53 PM on May. 5, 2010

• yes a child can receive SSI for autism. my oldest daughter is autistic and receives SSI. it's based on the severity of it and also on household income.
    raven1114

Answer by raven1114 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010