Would you support Geothermal Energy as an option we should be exploring?

One of the major benefits of geothermal is its reliability. Unlike solar and wind, geothermal energy does not rely on variable sources of energy as the energy comes from the formation of the earth, radioactive decay of minerals and solar energy absorbed from the surface. Geothermal has an average capacity factor (how often the power plant runs) of about 73% [Source: IEA Geothermal Energy] though some have been recorded as high as 98%. Compare that to 20-40% for wind farms, around 19% for solar [Source: Treehugger] and coal running at 65-75% [Source: REPP], and it becomes clear to see why more countries are investing in geothermal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think more R and D needs to be done. Location and reliability are issues that need further exploration. Costs may outpace reliability.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:53 PM on May. 4, 2010

• In some areas of the world it has been extremely effective. However there are plenty of issues that need to be resolved. In our area, people had been using naturally occurring hot springs to heat their homes and hot tubs. Now there have been some debate on who owns the hot spring water running under their property.

I will look for the article.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:11 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It already is a used option; has been for a long time. Al Gore talks like he invented it.

If there are more places where it can be reasonably implemented - then great.
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with it, provided it is reliable and not so unbelievably expensive that only Al Gore can use it...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:48 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I would like to know more. I would tectonic instability would be an issue.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:14 PM on May. 4, 2010

• tectonic instability

There have been concerns linking GT development to increased seismic activity.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My Uncle believes in this 100% him and his son both studied this...They think once the kink are worked out it would be the best solution.

I need more info

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:28 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I live in Northern California, and "the Geysers" ARE a major source of our electricity. ... As the water levels are getting depleted, they have been working on ways to pump new waters into the Geysers underground reservoirs in order to keep the steam coming and pushing the turbines to create the electricity. ... Pipes for partially-treated wastewater have been one master plan which our county gov'ts have been acting on.

So, sure - it works ... for more info on a decades-long implementation of this type of energy, look up "The Geysers" www.geysers.com ... www.geysers.com/visit.htm

And for info about earthquake activity related to a geyser field, check this out: http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/2009/05/earthquake_swarm_at_the_geyser.php
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:36 PM on May. 4, 2010

• WM- geographically you are in the right location for successful usage. I know that is one of the major concerns and limiting factors,  location.

Anonymous

• Absolutely. Currently Nevada is the #2 state for geothermal energy production. I believe we are also at least as high in solar and wind power. And of course the Las Vegas valley gets our power almost exclusively from hydroelectric power. I think it's wonderful.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:19 PM on May. 4, 2010