Will my nipples ever be the same after breastfeeding?

I have 3 children & breastfed them all. I nursed my 1st for 17 months, 2nd for 23 months, & am currently nursing my 1 month old newborn. i've either been pregnant or nursing (back to back) for 5 years & it has taken a toll on my breasts. i know the shape will probably never be the same, but what about my nipples? they used to be small & pink, but now they've tripled in size (maybe even more) & have turned brown. will they ever go back to the small pink nipples they used to be or will they stay this size & color forever? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think they'll go back. Mine did, but I didn't nurse as long as you did.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I breastfed my son for 6 months (He's now 2yrs 4 months) and mine never went back really, a little, but not like they were at all. Now I'm preggo again and I highly doubt they'll ever be the same!
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 3:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• damn... same thing happened to mine.. in my 20th month of breast feeding and these babies are not even the same entity they were 5 years ago.. i sure hope they go back.
    gfargas

Answer by gfargas at 3:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I think I read some where that they stay a little larger and darker. Mine are that way.
    Anonymous

• MIne went back to normal, well mostly normal. So there is hope...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:24 PM on May. 4, 2010

• First, the breast shape changes you have seen are caused by aging and pregnancy, not by breastfeeding. Breastfeeding doesn't make breasts saggy, the relaxin released during pregnancy and the effects of gravity and age do that :)

Second, you will likely slowly lose some of the pigment of the nipple/areola complex after you have fully weaned your last child (or if you have a big space between this child and your next, then it will start over again). You will probably see a loss of some of the softness and suppleness of the nipple and areola and they may decrease in size a little. But they are not likely to go back EXACTLY how they were. And that's okay :) Motherhood changes us in a lot of ways, all of them beautiful.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:25 PM on May. 4, 2010

• They will most likely never be those small pink nipples... They'll shrink some with time- and the color will fade a bit. But... they will never be as they were.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The shape is more because of pregnancy than breastfeeding. And the nipples will most likely not return to exactly what they looked like before, but over time they will become more pink and the areola will shrink.
    I don't know about you but the color of mine varies throughout the day. If my DS hasn't nursed, the areola is dark brown and big. If he's just finished the areola is light brown-pink and smaller.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 3:54 PM on May. 4, 2010