have anyof ya had to go through this?

When i was pregnant with my dd i was one week over due.I went to the hospital cause i was having alot of cramps in my stomach and also i was leaking water not bad but i had some stain on my underwear.When i got there they told my water bag didnt have enough water and they had to induse me even do i wasent dialeted.Now i am 36 weeks pregnant with my son and goin through the same thing.What should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Alright, here's the thing. Evidence shows that there is no need to be induced if your water breaks AS LONG AS YOU AVOID VAGINAL ENTRY. This includes sex, tampon use, baths and vaginal exams performed in teh hospital. You can go as long as 4 days after your water breaks without increasing your risk of infection, and labor almost always starts spontaneously by 48 hours after your water has broken.

That said, if you are uncomfortable waiting, or if you have recently had sex, a vaginal exam or anything going into your vagina, or if you are strep B positive, you should weigh the risks and benefits of induction and decide what's best for you. Induction is not risk-free, but neither is waiting.

What kind of birth do you want? What are you planning for this birth?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:20 PM on May. 4, 2010

• im pllaning on having a vaginal birth
    Lucerocaylee

Answer by Lucerocaylee at 3:25 PM on May. 4, 2010

• The first poster isn't entirely true!! My water broke and my dr sent me home for 8 days. I was supposed to come back on the 8th day assuming I didn't go into full blown labor before then and he'd progress it. On the 3rd day, however, I was rushed to the hospital with sepsis. My entire body was completely infected. I ended up having to have IV antiobiotics for almost 2 weeks afterwards because I was so sick. IMO.. Don't wait.
    Anonymous

• my water did not break they had to break it
    Lucerocaylee

Answer by Lucerocaylee at 3:27 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Anon, your doctor probably gave you a vaginal exam, yes?

OP, if a vaginal birth is important to you, it is important to avoid induction. Induction leads to C-section 40% of the time, either for failure to progress or for fetal distress. Since you are already havign cramping, do some walking, some birth-ball bouncing and some squatting, and let nature take it's course until you either have signs of something wrong, or no longer feel comfortable doing so
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:30 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Lucerocaylee, I don't understand... if you were leaking water, then your water was broken. Otherwise, unless you had an ultrasound that showed amniotic fluid was dangerously low, they had no reason to induce you in the first place.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:31 PM on May. 4, 2010

• they said it was dangerously low thats why i had to stay in the hospital
    Lucerocaylee

Answer by Lucerocaylee at 3:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If you're leaking water, then you should go get checked out to make sure you're not "dangerously low," and then make your decisions from there.

If you're not dangerously low, you'll want their advice on how to handle the rest of your pregnancy to avoid infections or other complications from leaking.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Lucerocaylee, hwo did they determine that it was dangerously low?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• they did an ultrasound and saw that there wasent enough water
    Lucerocaylee

Answer by Lucerocaylee at 5:31 PM on May. 4, 2010