Carseat and Booster Question...

I have a 3.5 yr old that is using a Britax right now. I have a 2 yr old son that's in the First Years True Fit. I have a 4.5 month old that will soon inherrit her big sister's Britax. I'm going to replace my 3.5 yr old's seat with a carseat/booster that has the 5 point harness. If we didn't need the Britax for my youngest, I would keep her in it because she's very small for her age (that's why I'm getting a 5 point harness booster).

So, here's my question. I know she'll want a pretty one (pink, flowers, etc) but will she use it until my baby needs it or will her brother need it (his carseat goes up to 65 lbs)? I don't want to get a brown, black, or navy one unless her brother will need it. How long can I keep him in his carseat (around what age is 65 lbs) and how long will my oldest use a convertible 5 point harness booster?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 3:14 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• have you looked at carseat covers? Etsy.com has some great ones. We have bought a few for our boys carseats. They like to change the color and patterns. Its a lot of fun. They also help keep the car seats neat and clean.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:15 PM on May. 4, 2010

• It depends on the kid. My daughter was 65 pounds in 2nd grade. My son was probably 65 pounds in 6th grade.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If you are looking for a pretty pink seat that will harness longer, try the Graco Nautilous. It will harness to 65 pounds and then convert to a booster when you feel your daughter is ready.
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 3:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• but to answer your question my son is 4.5 and is still in a 5 point harness. He is very small for his age only 32lbs but we will be keeping him in a 5 point harness until he is over 40lbs. Then his carseat can be used as a booster with the seat belt.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• do not buy any covers from etsy... any aftermarket products (like home made covers) can void your warranty on your car seat, and release the company of any liability in a crash
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:19 PM on May. 4, 2010

• peanuts... wow I did not know that thank you! I actually have them on my seats right now.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:21 PM on May. 4, 2010

• This is the seat I was suggesting for you daughter.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Nautilus-Pink-Daisy-Seat/10856433
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 3:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My son just turned 2 and is 31 lbs. Am I right in thinking that my 3.5 yr old DD may use a booster/carseat until my currently 4.5 month may use a booster? My husband is huge on saving money and don't want him to force me to put our son in a flowery pink carseat, but am thinking my DD will still be in her booster by the time he also needs one.

I'm so confused. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:23 PM on May. 4, 2010

• my 4 1/2 year old is 39 lbs and is on the 3rd of 4 slots in his graco nautilus if that give you a guide
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:25 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Most kids will not hit 65lbs. for a long while - around age 6-8 years, so you should be good. By that time they can use just a booster seat (rather than a 5pt. harness seat).
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:30 PM on May. 4, 2010