How can I be positive with my boys to do their chores?

Okay.... racing the kids doesn't help them move faster either.... I told them I would race them getting the dishes done and them cleaning their bedroom.... I even took my time and went back through the house to make sure there were no cups, bowls or what-not (for the 3rd time to stall) and they are still just playing around!!!! Any suggestions??? They already are not going on a field trip today because of the way they have been acting at the daycare providers while I'm at work and classes.... and they are already getting allowance deducted.... I need postive re-inforced suggestions.... I even said they could earn the field trip back (it's not until 5p tonight) but they don't seem to care! They are going to be 10 and 5 in less than a month.... HELP ME PLEASEEEEE

Momof2MixdBoyz

Asked by Momof2MixdBoyz at 3:23 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Chore Chart with stars and a reward system.
    Assign each child a specific age appropriate chore and when it is complete, give them a star....when they get to so many stars, then they get a treat (can be an ice cream cone at McDonald's, a toy from the dollar tree etc). But it has to take several stars to get to the treat.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:27 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I've done that... it's not really working.... ugh
    Momof2MixdBoyz

Answer by Momof2MixdBoyz at 3:33 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Do they have ideas? My two are "almost" 8 (in his words, LOL!) and 5 1/2. When we've hit brick walls like this, I ask them "What will motivate you to do this without a fight?" They came up with the following 2 ideas:

I have a job list and an associated coin value for each. They earn simply what work they've done. No work, no money.

A "behavior" chart. They get a tick-mark for misbehavior (after a warning.) After 5 tick marks they pay "the bank" (aka a canning jar) a dollar from their allowance savings. If they get through a day without a tick mark, they get a smile face. If they earn five smiles in a row, they get back a dollar they've previously put in. If they get 5 smiles and have no dollars in, they get the joy of being a good child with oodles of praise. LOL! If they get a smile, today after having none the day prior, we erase the tick count and start fresh. They have responded well thus far to it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:37 PM on May. 4, 2010