My son will be 5 in a few weeks. I'd like to begin introducing him to sports. What was the first sport you introduced to your child? What sports are best recommended for his age?

Asked by PassionDiva_NY at 11:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son started soccer at that age. The mistake we made was not asking him what he wanted to do, though, because while he loved soccer, he's now just turned six and has just found that he adores basketball. I say let him putter around at a few things - or maybe let him watch some games - and see what he thinks he might like to try. But soccer is a good sport for that age.

Answer by EmilySt at 12:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• we thought about putting my g/daughter in soccer. When we asked her she said "Gramma are you crazy?" After I picked my jaw off the floor I asked her why she said that. Her response was this "because I want to take ballet not stinky soccer" 'nuff said.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Check out your local boys&girls club. They have great sports of all ages. I got my daughter into swimming and mandolin lessons, she's not really much of a sports girl, but she really enjoys those things. T-ball, soccer, basketball swimming, any of those will be good.

Answer by sapient at 12:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• All of my kids started basketball when they were all five. Soccer sounds fun, but in my town it is the same time as football and cheerleading, and my kids choose to do that instead of soccer. They were all started in teeball too. Whatever sport you or he chooses, just remember to have fun with it-and don't forget the sports decal for your car with his name on it!

Answer by April_418 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• soccer, t-ball, swimming

Answer by vakatia at 2:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Soccer. Soccer is fun, fast and cheap! My kids have always played in leagues that are going to let all of the kids play every game. It's fun. If he wants competition, that will be easy to find in the future. Softball was a second sport was softball but neither of my kids were interested (girls though). It was too slow for them.

Answer by manna1qd at 3:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Make sure your son actually WANTS to participate in sports. Perhaps go to see some games first or tag along with a friend who is in a league. I see no need to add sports to a child's schedule unless it is a personal interest.

Answer by barefootbooks at 5:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son is now 4. He did a sports starter class at 3.5, is now doing squirts t-ball, and soccer. I want him active. He really enjoys it now and I try to coordinate with moms I know so the kids will be with a friend or two. Eventually, everyone new is cool. Check out your parks and rec and community center. Start now, he is probably ready.

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I put my son in soccer at age 4. It was co-ed which was a huge mistake on my part. He basically refused to play a "girlie" game and did not perform during games. We put him in Tball when he was 5, and he loved it. He's decided that he don't want to play organized sports right now, which is fine. At this point I'll let him decide what and when he wants to try something else.

Answer by KennsWifey at 7:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Definitely try to put him in a sampler program with short periods on multiple sports. It builds fundamentals and interest to see what he would like to do for a season. I know that baseball is hard for that age soccer would probably be your best bet.

Answer by brimarie8 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 28, 2008