has anyone thought there child to sign ? how do u go about doing it?

i want to teach my child to sign but i don know where to begin or how to go about doin it

momofaboy22

Asked by momofaboy22 at 3:36 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We taught my daughter some basic needs words (she's older, and talks now, so she doesn't use it anymore).

We just did the sign every time we said the word, and she picked it up, though she did her own variation of the signs. "All done," which is more of a twisting of the wrist, became a wild flailing of her hands...but it was enough to communicate.

She didn't pick up everything, but she learned "all done," "milk," and "eat." Life was definitely easier with her being able to communicate those 3 ideas.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:41 PM on May. 4, 2010

• yep, I did. We taught the basics... more, please, all done, milk, eat, up, thank you. We started showing signs at about 3-4 mos and he started signing about 7-8 mos

check your local library, there are several books and dvd's out there
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:42 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I bought a book called baby signs. It was great! My dd wasnt as fussy because she could tell me what she wanted. They can start young. I know she knew several at 8 months. It doesnt matter what the sign is just so that you both know what it means. my dd always signed more-pointer finger pointing at open palm (this helped with many things) drink- open hand on mouth, barney- hand on top of head. When I would feed her I would just ask if she wanted more and everytime i said more i did the sign. after a short while she woudl just do the sign. They dont need alot of signs at that age to communicate just some basics. Good luck! I would highly recommend doing this with your baby. It is amazing what they can communicate with sign.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:42 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I taught all 4 of mine to sign and it really cuts down on the crying because they can "tell" you what they want. My first I didn't start with as early because I didn't learn about it until later, but with my other three I started when they were just a few months old. They learned what they meant before they started signing back. My youngest is 17 months and still uses them occasionally, but uses words most of the time and I always make him say the word with the sign. My older ones are 8, 10, and 12 and they had forgotten their signs until they started seeing them again with their baby brother.
    Instead of baby signs, you can also just use ASL so they will be learning a "real" language. That's what we did and I always just looked up online any signs we needed.

Answer by missanc at 3:50 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I started at birth with my second and around 6 months with my first. You simply pick 2-3 signs at first (we do milk (nurse), and change at first) and do them every time you perform that act. So every time I got ready to nurse them I made the sign for milk and as I laid them on the changing table I did the sign for change. I always said the word as I did the sign. When they started doing them back then I added a few others to the mix. They are 5 and 3 years old now and still make the signs for please and thank you as they say the words. At the peak they both did about 15 signs. We did things like sleep, eat, drink, bath, more, please, thank you, all done, etc. We also just used ASL not the baby signs.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:16 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My daughter has a speech delay. She sees someone once a week for it. We started teaching her simple signs at about 18 months. Simple things like "more" "all done" "milk" "eat" "please" and "thank you" However, in my case...that gave my daughter a new way to communicate and she completely stopped trying to talk...and regressed. As soon as we stopped with the signs, she began to excel. I think for some kids...it can be great...but for others, not so great. Good luck...hope it goes well.
    Anonymous