Should I be concerned about her weight at this age?

My 9 year old daughter is petite, but she's put on a lot of weight in the past year (mostly around her tummy and thighs). She has a sweet tooth and devours any sweets that make their way into the house and gets upset if she's not allowed to have dessert (we don't serve dessert every day, however she asks to have dessert after dinner every night) I don't keep sweets around but on the occasions when we have extra cake or brownies (brought by relatives when they come for weekly dinners) she will have a tantrum if she isn't allowed to have it. (we don't allow her have dessert if she doesn't eat her dinner) Anyway, I know she's still growing and the weight may not become an issue as she grows taller but I'm a but concerned about how much importance she seems to put on desserts and how upset she gets when she gets a smaller piece of cake than her older brother or if she misses out on any sweets. Plus she's not overly active.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Girls around this age generally put on a little weight, but I would be concerned if she isn't active and is gaining the weight from eating sweets. When I was growing up, we did have dessert every night but a lot of nights it was sugar free jello or peaches with a little whipped cream or mixed berries - you can satisfy her sweet tooth with fruits without giving her cakes and brownies. Tantrums at 9 are not common and she needs to learn that they don't get her what she wants. Also - you may want to enroll her in karate, or dance, or basketball (my 8 year old daughter plays bball and I'm amazed at how much of a workout she gets at practice and during games!). But the sweets can definitely signal a problem - if she isn't heavy yet, but keeps eating them it definitely could cause a problem down the road!

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on May. 4, 2010

• its definitely a good time to teach her what's good and what's not.

healthy vs unhealthy.

Anonymous

• I wouldn't allow her to be throwing tantrums and getting what she wants at nine.. at 15 it will be.. BUT MOM I WANT A TATTOO!! That's not the way to get what you want and that needs to be addressed. Send her to her room if she's throwing a fit but don't be giving her what she wants when she does! That just instills in her mind that the only way to get what she wants is to throw a fit.. and I agree with the post above that she's quite old enough to be taught what's healthy and not and that she should limit the amount of unhealthy stuff she's eating. Good luck to you
    Anonymous

• I would be concerned, but not aproach it in any way that can be seen as dissaproval by her. 9yrs old puberty on the horizen. no telling what kinda bomb may explode. Without her knowing, explore better choices for snacks. I'm sure she's a smart kid and if something fills her snack needs and is not going to leave her feeling depressed when she looks in the mirror, she'll dive for it. Do the spa thing or something similar with her (there's also free makeovers at high end stores) and get her interested in her appearance and she'll get interested, without you ever having mention weight. Weight is a big health issue too, but not important to kids........ doesn't work.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 3:51 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We don't give in to her tantrums, I'm just concerned at the extreme reaction over a piece of cake or brownie. I do keep fruit, jello, nuts, etc in the house but when i offer them as a snack she will say, "nah, do we have any brownies or cake?" I try to deter guests from bringing those types of desserts (only the kids eat them anyway) and it is getting better, but she still prefers the sweets and will beg/plead to go to DQ or someplace to get something more fattening.
    Anonymous

• Stop bringing junk into the house. Build meals around whole foods: whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 PM on May. 4, 2010

• stop buy junk food.... To answer you question be concerned..... My sister used to be so tiney til she was almost twelve now she weighs 230 lbs and she just turned 17. When I came from korea she weighed 218 and that was two years ago. Monitor what she eats don't be a drill sgt about it but take it into consideration show her great recipes for good food. Put her butt in check when she gets bold and through a tantrum. You are the parent and if you let get away with tantrums now it will only get worse. She is a girl and will have her teenage moment like high school and pregnancy and depression to deal with. She is still young enoug to start picking up good eating habits. You are a good parent for being concerned! :) good luck
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 1:44 AM on May. 7, 2010