How can I teach my 3 year old about God, when I am not so sure if I believe?

Please do not bash me or try and "save" me. I don't need saving. I just want to know how I can teach my daughter about things that I know little about. I don't want her to miss out on learning just because her parents prefer not to. I am afraid that she would approach me with questions that I do not know the answers to, so maybe I am not the one to do it. Any advice would be good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Can you go to a store and buy a childrens bible? For a three yr old....
    Who is God and where did He come from?
    Where did we come from?
    Who wrote the bible?
    Who is Jesus and why he is important?
    Why did he die? (Your discretion)
    How can we talk to God?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:41 PM on May. 4, 2010

• there are lots of kid based story books - I found tons at costco.

veggie tales is a good series too

you can teach and be quite general - not go too far one way or the other.

a great site is beliefnet.com
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Hmm that is tough. I think the first questions kids have about God are things like "Who made the earth?" "Who were the first people?' and things like that. It is a bit different that you want to teach your child something you dont believe in yourself. Maybe you could just say you dont know but some people believe there is a God and that we cant see him but he made everything. Some people believe there are angels all dressed in white and they watch over us.I also think you could buy some books about the bible and that have bible stories for his age now. I would just tell him as he gets older that we all have to search our hearts to find out what we believe. It will open the door for him to search for is own answers with your support.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:50 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Our family is multifaith. We tend to present options: some people believe this, some people believe that. What do you think? I don't pretend to have all the answers and I think kids are better with ambiguity than we think they are. I don't think there's anything wrong with not having a 'this is the way it is' answer about some of life's trickier questions.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:03 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My husband is atheist and I am pagan and the rest of our family is christian so we just teach that everyone believes different things and I tell them what DH and I believe and a few examples of what other religions believe (I minored in religious studies in college so I have pretty in depth knowledge of other religions). I attend a local Unitarian Universalist church occasionally with the kids and they are great with presenting diversity.
    Anonymous

• I think you should just teach him whatever you're comfortable with, use books if it's easier. As he gets older talk to him about what you believe and why. Don't be afraid to talk to him about things you question and the doubts you have because this can lead to good discussions.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:09 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Which God do you want to teach them about? My kids are being raised with a Christian father and a Pagan mother. Because of that we aren't teaching religion. We are however introducing them in to the basics of both systems. There are a number of books for kids about the different myth systems... Our kids have the "My Book Of Bible Stories," "D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths," and we are getting them the "D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myth" as well... They are all made for kids and out kids love them. They allow us to give them a basis of knowledge without teaching it and will get them enough understanding later in life that they can make their own choices.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:34 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I would get the animated movies, and watch them with her. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:12 PM on May. 4, 2010

• why teach her something that you don't even believe in?
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:59 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I think it would be a good idea if you teach her to be open. It doesnt matter that you dont know all the answers (or even some of them), NO ONE does. Its probably best that you dont teach her anything in particular until she does begin to ask questions.

And when she does ask (and she will) then you'll have a great opprotunity to grow your relationship as parent and child when you both search the answers together.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:36 AM on May. 5, 2010