Have people forgotten to teach their kids how to behave when not at home?

Today I took my daughter to the dentist and had my son with me...He knows to be quiet and to read books or watch the TV they have. So all was quiet until this woman shows up with 4 kids and does nothing as her kids rearrange the chairs and run circles around them. My son who is almost 6 just looked at them and didn't know what to think then this on girl about 4 comes up to him and wants him to play with them. He really didn't know what to think. Then the oldest girl about 8 yrs old, has her siblings sit like dogs and she tosses candy into their mouth. I could not beleave the way this woman allowed her kids to run wild!
This isn't the first time I have seen kids allowed to hold their own 3 ring circus and it amazes me that parents don't have a clue about how to teach kids to be respectable anymore

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh I hear you OP. I teach first graders, and you know who gets disciplined at home and who doesn't. It's SAD.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:54 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I agree with you.

we go in, my three sit down and read stories or play with the toys quietly and politely.

we regularly see little hellions - my kids just sit there amazed that they're getting away with it.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:48 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Well the difference is that you had 1 child and she had 4...it could be that at that point in the day, she was so wore out that she had gotten to the point where she just didn't care as long as they weren't killing each other.

I try not to judge someones parenting skills based upon a 10 minute view into their world.
    Anonymous

• Welcome to the future generation of the U.S.! Feeling pretty crappy now aren't you?!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:49 PM on May. 4, 2010

• i know...i took my baby to the doctor last week and this lady had her 2 boys in there one was 7 and the other was 3 (yes i was talking to her) and she left to go to the front desk and left her kids there sitting by me, the 3 y/o went running around and climbed on a table, it wasn't my place but i helped him get down and the older boy said "tell him to sit down please" sand i was like "i'm not his mama he won't listen to me" and he said "tell him youe his aunt" it was funny in a way but i thought the mom was crazy for not making her kids act right
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:50 PM on May. 4, 2010

• you know, I have a very strong willed little boy. he's 2-1/2 and I have a hard time no matter what I've tried to get his to "sit still" he climbs all over me and says mommy mommy over and over again if i am trying to talk to someone and in the back room of the Drs office, he will scream/cry the whole time. I've tried snacks/ bring water / toys books. Taking him outside and talking to him - I am very stern with him but sometimes I find myself at a loss of what to do also. I am consistant but nothing seems to work. not all parents are oblivious.. but some of us are at a loss....
    Anonymous

• op here.........the kids had pop and candy and yes you can control 4 kids...I have 4 kids and they are behaved
    Anonymous

• I've seen parents on both sides of this I have 4 great kids and wouldn't trade them for anything . I see the parents who are honestly trying to have their children behave and then you see the ones who don't care and act like the cell phone is their life line to sanity. Put the phone away and help your children I want to scream at them. I can have my 4 behave and let loose at home why can't you....if you've had such a rough and tiring day ask for help or reschedule some stuff already.
    Anonymous

• I've been pretty amazed by some of the children I've seen in public.... I feel sorry for the children b/c they may grow up feeling awkward in social situations due to their behavior and lack of manners. My little one is far from perfect, but I can guarantee that you won't see me ignoring her behavior in public (or at home for that matter). The moms who ignore the negative behavior will be the first ones exclaiming, "Oh no no, MY child would never do something like that! It must be the teacher!" when they get a call from the school about their child's behavior. JMO.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:27 PM on May. 4, 2010

• There is no excuse, the kids weren't babies. It's disrespectful the the office and others in it. You CAN control your kids and if you cannot, you leave. It's that simple. Kids aren't idiots. Try leaving one or two times from a restaurant, etc. and they get the message very quickly. But the candy and pop tells me this Mom is bribing to get them even in the door. Bad idea. I have a friend with four kids and they are delightful. It takes effort. I have three big sisters and were learned early on what was acceptable and not. It's work, some parents don't do it.
    Anonymous