Blended family mother day question

Is it wrong to tell my husband that I to spend time alone with my kids only for mothers day? I have two that aren't his and one baby together and I really just want to hang with my kids. How can I go about it without making feel bad? I'm expecting an attitude. I think he's jealous of me and my kids at times but that he would never admit!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• So, you want your husband and his kids to get lost? I'd say plan special outings with only your kids at times when his kids will be at their mom's. I would NOT make a big deal out of getting away from them on mother's day because that is gauranteed to stir up some drama and resentment. Blending a famioly takes time, and while you do need some quality alone time with your kids, you do not need to drive a wedge between "yours" and "his".
    Anonymous

• You are basically rejecting his kids. That will not go over well. Would you have an issue if he asked that your kids go somewhere else on a holiday so he could spend it only with his kids?
    Anonymous

• You mean.. you don't want just him around?
    Anonymous

• So, you want to spend time alone with the older kids and leave him iwth the baby? Why make it such a big deal, why not just say, "I thought it would be nice if I took the kids to (fill in the blank) for mother's day, would you mind staying home with the baby?" Explain that whatever activity you will be doing is not age appropriate for a baby to be there...but honestly, if he has a problem with this, you've got bigger fish to fry....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:01 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't think you can. One reason I think this way is because you feel conflicted about it and brought the question here. Ordinarily I'd say no problem, the baby is too young for whatever activity you have in mind (and if not, then the baby should come too) but assuming the baby is too young, if there were no other problem, then you could just say the baby is too young. But you have the other problem with your husband's feelings and concerns, so this puts a different light on the matter. You'll need to do something with all of the children. When in doubt, do. You know there could be a problem or concern, so take action to avoid this in your marriage.

Answer by Bmat at 4:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• No...I will take the baby too. He has two also and I'm sure they r going to their moms too. Its only right. I would encourage alone time if he wanted with his precious kids! I'm all for quality time I don't have to ne there.
    Anonymous

• Don't my kids deserve time alone with mom? They use to have all the time before now that I'm married things changed and they lost that quality time. Once in a while I think he should be all for it. Its all about balancing it all out and everyone feeling special. We all don't always have to do everything together. Gosh!!
    Anonymous

• *family
    Anonymous