What's a fair price for someone else to do my laundry?

My uncle is out of work and my aunt is helping me catch up on housework by doing some of my heap of laundry for extra cash. She told me to figure out how much the work was worth but i'm not really sure. For regular work it's easy, you just pay by the hour, but she is taking the laundry home and running it through in her spare time so not really an hourly thing, more like a "by the load" thing. If I was rich i'd just give her more than enough, but I don't have a ton of extra money so I need to pay her something fair but not exorbitant. Any ideas on what this would be worth to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would call a couple of local laundromats in your area that offer a "wash,dry and fold" service, and find out what they charge and how they charge.

Or, instead of giving her money, could you provide her with something that she needs the money for? Maybe some groceries, cook some meals that can be reheated, pay a utility bill, or offer some other "exchange" on her behalf?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:07 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My mom washes my sister's familily's clothes every week. Both parents work full time and her kids are in sports and other activities, so there is a time crunch. Anyway, she pays my mom $35 a week. That is for a family of 6, so between 8-10 loads of laundry a week. But she drops off and picks up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:14 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't know, but you need to take into consideration she is using her appliances..wear and tear and her water and heater and heat for the dryer...so I would be generous.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:53 AM on May. 6, 2010