Does your spouse/significant other support you?

My husband doesn't not believe in doing these types of businesses (MLM) and neither did I at one point, but I got tired of looking for part time jobs and coming up empty. So I stepped out on faith to do my business, but I'm having a difficult time because my spouse wants nothing to do with it. I can tell he is slipping into resentment because he has his own freelancing business he is trying to get off the ground and he accuses me of not supporting his business, however, I felt it's his passion and I really didn't know how to contribute. Now he sees me putting energy into my business and he's upset. I feel like throwing in the towel because I don't want him upset with me and if it doesn't work out I will probably never hear the end of it.

So my question to you all is:

Does he support you in your direct selling business? If not, how do you cope and how do you keep going?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't have a direct selling business...and my husband has his own online business that he does and he's great at it. He loves doing it and I support him. But like you, it's his passion and I don't really know how to contribute so it's his deal. HOWEVER, if I did decide to do something like this, my husband would surely support me. We try to support each other in every thing we do. So...if I were you, I'd keep up with your business. Try to make it work, and if it doesn't: lesson learned. Don't let him drag you down just because he's trying to get his business back on its feet. Maybe explain to him that at least you're willing to help contribute to the income, some wives are not. As for coping....I don't really know. Try not to listen to him and let him bring you down. Just do what you're doing and try to prove him wrong. Try to prove that what you're doing is productive and is going to work out. GL!
    Anonymous

• MLM is bullshit in my opinion.

My partner and I support each other. We both work from home and if we didn't support if other we wouldn't have been able to grow our businesses to where they are.
    Anonymous

• I sold Mary Kay for a short time, at first my hubs was all for it, and he even gave me the $ to start it up. Although after a while he did get a bit frustrated with the whole thing--- as I was not able to build up a client base (way too many MK consultants in my city and people I talked to either did not buy it or had a MK lady already) and I had product sitting that did not sell..... so I did get out of that business.
    For your husband I think you should sit down and talk to him, let him know how you feel. I would also say to him, something like "I am sorry if you don't think I support you, but I really don't know what you want me to do to show it. I do support you and I am proud of you. I wish you would support me while I get my business going as well".
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I had my own business for years, and it was a passion of mine. My husband did support my efforts, my time and expenses and me.

Answer by Bmat at 4:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• He is probably not p.o.'ed because of the business, itself, but more because you went and did it even though you knew,before hand, he was against it.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 4:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Let me clarify: we did discuss it before I got involved, he never discouraged me but rather said he's sure I could probable generate some income but he doesn't believe in it as a long term answer to financial success. some people look at MLM as a way to get rich, I don't. If it will help me cut back regular work hours and/or pay off debt...It's worth it to me...
    Anonymous

• he also said: It’s a love hate relationship with my biz, he loves how it has made me become stronger, motivated me and made me proactive about attacking life.On the other hand he is hurt about my motivation towards it over his biz business.
    Anonymous

• Well I would then either spend an equal amount of energy helping him with his buisness, or drop yours all together. I guess to me marriage is more important then any buisness, and if it causing a lot of tension it is not worth it. And my husband supports me as long as he feels I am doing the right thing, and that I still care more for him then anything else.
    Anonymous

• read this: http://www.mlmwatch.org/
    Anonymous

• My spouse and I both have home based businesses. We truly support each other.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on May. 4, 2010