IEP eligability meeting (ga/gwinnett county)

What can I expect? Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on May. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does your child have a medical diagnosis?! If so, that will be the basis for the Individualized Education Plan. The plan will lay out your child's strength and weaknesses, and the school district will explain to you how they plan to address your child's needs. You will be given a copy of your rights and the process you would go through should you disagree with the plan.

My children have Autism, and so their IEP's include detailed analysis of their strengths and core deficits, and how much time they will spend in regular education and special education classes, as well as how much speech therapy, occupational therapy they will receive during the school day. They will also include any test results/percentages (if that information exists). The IEP will also state specific accommodations your child is entitled to, such as private testing area, extra time to complete tests, preferential seating, if they'll have an Aide, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:21 PM on May. 4, 2010

• are they determining eligibilty for services, or have they already been determined and they are writing the IEP?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:13 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We have had several meeting with the Student Support Team. This is a meeting to determine eligability for services.
    Anonymous

• I'm still not clear.... have they already done the evaluations (speech, pt/ot) What kind of support services are you trying to qualify for? How old is your child?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:18 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Bottom line, you need to remember that PARENTS have the final say on the IEP. The IEP should be viewed as maximizing your child educational experience, and giving him/her every opportunity to succeed! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:22 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'm sorry. Yes he has a medical diagnosis of Asperger's. The school has had me fill out the 'scales' and he has been observed by an occupational therapist and I 'think' they have done speech eval. They said they would but I don't know if they 'have'. I tend to not find about what they have done until the next meeting after they did it. His behavior and social skills are his biggest challange as well as visual motor skills primarily in the handwriting area.
    Anonymous

• He is 5. Diagnoses in December. He is in K going into 1st grade (if he gets and IEP) without an IEP he will have to repeat gade K.
    Anonymous

• If you are concerned, contact the school board and they will provide an advocate for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:27 PM on May. 4, 2010