Anyone ever had your electric bill suddenly quadruple?

Ours has never been over $170 (in the winter when using constant heat) and this time of year it's usually under $100. This month it's $440! Anyone ever contested an electricity bill? I think I can have them check for a faulty meter.....

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 4:12 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You definately should talk to the electric company about this.
    We moved in October '09 and ours steadily went up by hundred each month. And has maxed out somewhere around 200 a month now. It shouldn't have increased that much each month, but the hubbs hasn't talked to them yet.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• No I never have, but I would call and talk to the electric complany. See if there is something wrong on their end and see what they will do to fix it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:15 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My gas bill was $200 more than I expected it to be last October. I called the gas company, and they told me to pay what I thought it should be as it was an "estimated" month - any difference would be made up when they actually read the meter. I would think the Electric company would do the same?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:17 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Actually, I SAW the guy reading the meter, so it better not be an estimation. And even then, I can't see how they would estimate 4 times my regular bill.... The guy was looking at our meter through binoculars over the neighbors fence, though, so maybe he just didn't see it right.

OP
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:24 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Ours did that this winter. Where I live, if they can't read your meter or can't get to it, they will take the amount charged on the bill for the same month the previous year and bill you that way.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 4:33 PM on May. 4, 2010

• This happened to my mom, and it turned out that she had the flu open in the chimney for a month.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:15 PM on May. 5, 2010