I need some advice about my 8 yr old son,

his school doesn't have recess regularly...in fact I would say that he might have it maaaybe once a week so this could be why, but he's always been good in class never talking while the teacher was , but for the last 2 weeks he's getting notes sent home of his excessive talking. He's moved away from who he was talking to now its a new kid he's talking to. We've done punishment going to bed early no tv rewards etc. I'm not sure what else to do to motivate him to getting back to his good quiet behavior in class.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't get the no recess? Can you move schools? They really do need recess. Talk to the teacher and get some clearer feedback. Seems strange.
    Anonymous

• Them not getting recess isn't the cause I wouldn't think. Though it is rather strange that his school doesn't have regular recess. I thought it was manditory by the national school board to have recess everyday. They should have it everyday. Personally, I think it's more likely that he's bored in class. Children who get bored in class either don't understand the material or already get the material and don't feel they need to pay attention. What has your son said about why he's talking in class? Have you tried talking to him about what is appropriate during class? Jumping straight to punishment for older children isn't always the best idea. (Don't know if you do or not) You should talk it out with them to try and get insight on the reasons.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:45 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Have you thought of asking his teacher to move his desk away from the other students? It worked for my son. He has ADHD and gets distracted easily.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 5:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My son is adhd so i've been in and out of his class room alot since spring break. he's 9 and in 3rd grade.. i have to say its spring break end of the year. i see all the kids doing this. i think they are bored and ready for school to be over. maybe the teacher needs to find something to get there attention. teachers tend to get burned out right around may too. JMO
    Stephie280

Answer by Stephie280 at 8:47 PM on May. 4, 2010