Is it normal for my baby to have lost some weight after having a bad cold?

My 13month old came down with a cold Friday... started with a cough and progressed to full blown cold. I have used vaporizer, humidifier, vicks rub, saline solution etc.... It is Tues and throughout this cold she has had virtually no appetite. I have gotten her to take fluids but she isn't taking her usual amount of milk. Today she seems thinner to me. Is this normal?? Any advice?? I never give her juice but think I should try some if it gets her to drink more. Also, what are signs of ear infection... can colds lead to these and how do I know?? She seems lethargic today, still not eating, slight fever. Runny nose getting better but still a bad cough. I have called the nurse twice. UGG! I'm a first time Mom so bare with me!

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 4:33 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, its normal. And it won't cause any long term ill affects.

Stay AWAY from dairy when they are sick, it causes a surplus in mucous (snot, phlegm, etc) and makes them affects of the virus worse. As long as she is taking in fluids, you shouldn't be worried. It could take a couple of weeks for her appetite to pick back up though. The dairy will also contribute to the cough.

Unless it is so bad that she can't sleep, do NOT give cough medicine. we cough to expel fluid from our lungs, and preventing that from happening will prolong illness. Offer chamomile tea w/ honey, or mint tea w/ honey & lemon. Most kids like it, and it will settle her stomach, soothe her throat, and keep her hydrated.

Try things like frozen blueberries, peas, etc. Most kids JUMP at frozen fruits, even when they are sick.

She'll be fine. Just give it time, sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for our bodies to kick a virus. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:49 PM on May. 4, 2010

• it is totally normal for a lil one to loose weight when they are sick especially if they dont have an appetite. I would supplement the milk with pedialyte to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. I know its hard momma but she will be okay. My son has been sick A LOT and he is only 16 months old..he has a lot of allergy issues so everytime the weather changes he has a cold or something. :( Keep doing what your doing and offer her small snacks tht are nutritional. Hope she gets to feeling better soon
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 7:03 PM on May. 4, 2010