For those who say they don't keep the TV on then...

How do you get anything done around the house when you are home? Does your child always entertain him or her self?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• He sure does. Or he helps me clean and cook. He loves it.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:37 PM on May. 4, 2010

• my daughter will help cook or clean.. my son i can give a lil snack or just let him play with his toys
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 4:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My kids are much happier and play better when the tv is off. I play a lot of music, which puts everyone in a good mood.
    Anonymous

• Pretty much year, they have a play room full of toys, they have a classroom set up in a spare room to color and do art projects. TV is the worst possible way to keep your child entertained. It is not a babysitter and should not be keeping your child out of your way so you can get housework done.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:41 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I don't own a TV, if they want to watch something from the library occasionally, that's fine...

Yep, they sure do play! we have a fenced yard, and they also help clean/cook/and entertain their self quite nicely. ALL kids will, when they have the opportunity to do so. If all they know is how to veg, thats all they will do.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:42 PM on May. 4, 2010

• when my kids were little we would go to a playgroup 1-3 times a week... after playing they would take GREAT naps. Or I would make a game out of the cleaning and they would be in the room with me.
    Anonymous

• I usually let me 14 m/o son follow me around when i am doing laundry, putting it away and vacuuming. Pandora had great children music and he enjoys listening to it while he is playing.
    He does watch Baby TV while i drink my coffee in the morning and sometimes when i cook. If i need to clean the bathrooms I put the babyTV on or wait until my hubby gets home.
    PotterMom218

Answer by PotterMom218 at 5:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Use safe cleaners and let your baby help. Have a cabinet in the kitchen with kid-friendly items.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:23 PM on May. 4, 2010

• We rarely have the tv on, even after dinner. We read, play board games, cards and talk to each other.

My kids are older now, so they read, do homework, play outside or go for a bike ride. My youngest is 5 and he will look at books, play with his toys, build things, tell me stories while I clean or make dinner. When they were little I would put the music on really loud and we would all dance around while we dusted, swept or vacuumed. I also had a cabinet where they could reach into and play with anything they found in there.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:29 PM on May. 4, 2010

• mine play games, do crafts, play outside, help clean....

rarely is the tv on.

and after school they do homework.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:50 PM on May. 4, 2010