What to do? Adoption Question

Hey... Ok my son is now 6 years old... His biological father hasn't been around since ds was about 6weeks... I've been married (never was before) for three years now... My son calls his step-father- Daddy; and has lately started bringing up that his name is different then ours. My husband wants to adopt him, but how do we go about doing this? How do I prove that ds's father has never been around and doesn't want to be? The thing is I haven't talked to the man in 5 years, and I have not a clue as to how to get ahold of him to sign over rights. Well there isn't any visitation set up or anything, but he is on the birth certificate. I know he would gladly sign away rights, but what if I can't find him????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on May. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Can you prove he hasn't paid any support? I would consult a lawyer,, but I think this is a clear case of abandonment,, Now they are going to have to do a bit of searching for him,,, but not so much BFF had similar situation,, glad you got a good man!! congrats!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:47 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If varies by state. Generally though if you can't find him to have him sign over his rigths then in most cases you'd have to place a public notice in the local paper where you last knew of the bio father's residence. He has 30 days to respond after which his rigts are terminated. Let me find my links.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:48 PM on May. 4, 2010

• http://www.adoptionchildwelfarelaw.org/faq_detail.php?id=84

Select your state from the right hand side scroll box and you should be able to go from there.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:51 PM on May. 4, 2010

• if the bio dad isnt on the birth certificate... ur good to go...
    Anonymous

• It's not that hard to terminate his rights. You just have to hire a lawyer and do it in a court of law.
    Anonymous

• contact an attorney...you'll have to post in the local newspaper of town he last lived in...no answer they will terminate rights....social worker comes and does homestudy....approved for adoption....stepdad does federal back ground check....background good....go to court the judge will sure the stepdad knows he will be responsible for child even if you get divorced....make sure you know if you get divorced he could potentially get custody....done... it cost us about 2k for each child....my husband adopted my son and I adopted his son.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:02 PM on May. 4, 2010