How much is to much?

My 4 1/2 month old fits into 6-12 months clothes. And when she was at the doctor they asked me how many oz. she ate and I told them 6. And I got yelled at, they said that I'm over feeding her. But I think if my baby is hungry and wants to eat 6 oz. I shouldnt stop her. She keeps it down, and she eats every 4 or 5 hours. So i dont know if im doing anything wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are supposed to feed your baby when she is hungry. Babies go through growth spurts where they NEED more food. I don't think it sounds like you are overfeeding her. My first was born very tiny but always had a good appetite. Around 6 months, she got fat. It was the really cute baby fat. Now at 3, she's back to being skinny. Kids' bodies know what they need. My baby is 9 days old and went to the doctor yesterday. In 6 days, he gained 13oz. I feel like there are days where he does nothing but eat but I am not going to let him starve. You are the mommy and know her better than anyone else. Gaill likes to be the expert on everything but she isn't the one who has to deal with your starving baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on May. 7, 2010

• I think if she isnt getting sick and she wants it give it to her. Is her size an issue?
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 5:02 PM on May. 4, 2010

• i got yelled at too and i flipped out on them and told them it my kid is hungry am going to feed her they cant tell me she is eating to much if she wants it! My dd is four and a half months and wears six to twelve months in clothes.and weighs fourteen pounds Feed her if she is hungry.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 5:05 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Granted that I don't know too much about formula or formula feeding, I still don't think that 6 oz is too much. Maybe if she were taking 6 ounces every 1-2 hours, I could understand it being too much, but no not every 4-5 hours. Besides, if your baby is hungry, what else are you supposed to do??
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:38 PM on May. 4, 2010

• You can't let a bottle fed baby eat as much as they want, many will over eat and get fat. That can and does cause lifelong health problems. Mothers used to realize they had to do what was best for their baby. Now moms do whatever.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:10 PM on May. 4, 2010

• First it is not how much they eat at one sitting, but rather how much total in 24 hours that matters. Second look at the percentiles from birth until now. Are the height and weight within plus or minus 10% of where she was born? If yes then everything is fine. If her weight is more then 10% higher then where she was born then you may have a problem.
    Anonymous