What is a good solid food to start my daughter on?

My daughter is almost 5 months old and we are trying to get her to start eating jars of baby food atleast once a day. But she doesnt seem to like it at all. We've tried stage one bananas, and applesauce. I bought carrots,potatoes, and chicken ones to but I dont want to open them yet if shes not gonna eat them. Do you think it still might be a little to early to start her on solids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on May. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say stop and try again in a few weeks. When they are ready they gulp it down and beg for more! From When should my baby start solids?

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:50 PM on May. 4, 2010

• If she doesnt seem to like them quite yet. I would hold off for another month. Try again. And start with a vegetable. If you start with something sweet, chances are shes not going to like the bland veggies,lol.
    Or she may end up being like my princess..wouldnt have anything to do with jarred baby food at all..or any kind of pureed food for that matter. I had to give her tiny chunks of big people food,lol.
    They are all so different.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:12 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 5:20 PM on May. 4, 2010

• My son didn't really get into solids until 14 months old - try not to force it.

He started out on melons, bananas, avocado, sweet potato and then I introduced various different fruits and vegetables. Go with the flow and try to get fresh stuff instead of jar rubbish.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:24 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Based on what you've said, it does seem like she's not quite ready yet. Generally, I advise people to wait until at least 6 mos. A good starter foods are avocado, sweet potato, banana. I started my son on zucchini, mostly because that particular day, I had pureed some zucchini for a recipe.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:35 PM on May. 4, 2010

• I'd wait a few months. Some kids enjoy home cooked foods instead of ones in the jar. Yet you want to be careful of salt, and sugar content and things like butter if it's mashed potatoes or oatmeal or something.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 5:37 PM on May. 4, 2010

• Food is ALWAYS for nutrition. It's the baby food companies that started the myth that nutrition isn't important. I've told the people that keep spredding this on cm and they don't seem to care about infant nutrition. Every food you give your baby should be for nutrition, they don' need "experience".

Take a fork and mash banana or sweet potato and let the baby feed itself. If the baby can't do that, then the baby probably isn't developmentally ready for solids. For more on starting solids, go to.

http://www.kellymom.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:08 PM on May. 4, 2010